Sunshine & GVHD

GvHD means the marrow or stem cell graft from the donor reacts against the host (transplant recipient)

Moderator: Steering Committee

brianb

Sunshine & GVHD

Post by brianb » 24 Jul 2012 10:30

While it is great to see the sun finally shining, I have become extremely worried about spending too much time in the sun.

I have been told that sunburn can bring on Graft versus Host Disease, and even though I have slapped on the factor 30 suncream I get scared when I am out of the shade.

I was wondering if there were any others who have had a transplant who have experienced these fears?

Brian
Brian - M, 40yrs. Diagnosed with AML secondary to MDS Jan 2012. Received Unrelated Stem Cell Transplant June 2012. Now looking at returning to work.
janetstanford

Re: Sunshine & GVHD

Post by janetstanford » 24 Jul 2012 11:05

Hello Brian
That is a new one when i had chemo i was told to protect myself from the sun which i did but i have not heard that i am at risk of graft vs host because of transfusions but nobody has informed me wonder if anybody can answer that for us

take care Janet
chris

Post by chris » 24 Jul 2012 14:43

Dear Brian

You are right about this. I found this guidance. You do need to take extra precautions in the sun. See link below.

Janet - Brian is concerned as he has just had a stem cell transplant. (See his other posts). Don't worry - you won't get graft vs Host disease following normal blood transfusions for MDS. It's a complication of stem cell transplants.

http://marrow.org/Patient/You_and_Survi ... tions.aspx

Brian, why don't you treat yourself to a nice Panama hat!

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
lucy

Post by lucy » 25 Jul 2012 12:28

Brian,
Yes, you can get GVHD from too much sun. Joan told me it should be Factor 50 and only sit out in the sun to have a cup of tea!
And remember to wear a hat.
It's a real pain when you get the weather we are having but you don't want GVHD.
Lucy
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 25 Jul 2012 18:17

Hello
Thanks for that Chris now the question is how ? and y do they effect the stem cells do you know or do i have to google :)
and Brian i am sure you would look very cool in a panama hat maybe a big cigar ( Ernest Hemingway springs to mind )
hope your all well Janet
Chris the margins on your post is that an issue with the site that we have to report thought i would ask first :)
chris

Post by chris » 27 Jul 2012 19:07

Hi Lucy, Janet and Brian

Thanks for your input Lucy. Are you post-transplant too - how long is it -sorry - should have read your other posts first!

Janet - no idea why sunshine may do this but my guess is that it's to do with radiation doses and, as most people with stem cell transplant get total body irradiation as part of the pre-conditioning, there is probably a risk of skin cancer too and they have probably exceeded their lifetime quota of sunshine! Oh, the margins do look funny. Thanks for pointing that out. I will post a problem and hope the web folk can sort it out!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
chris

Post by chris » 27 Jul 2012 19:59

Hi Lucy

Sorry sorry!! Have just read your other post - which I only read a couple of days ago! Short term memory going!!

Well done on getting to the long term survivors "club". It must be quite an anxious time after a transplant. I met a lovely lady at the London meeting who was aged 70 and had her transplant 10 years ago and was looking amazing! So there's even hope for us oldies!

Must say I would hate to be covered up in the sun but I guess it's a small price to pay for one's health.

Take care

Chris

Return to “Stem Cell Transplants: GVHD (Graft v Host Disease)”