Diagnosed with MDS RCMD

Where the MDS variant falls outside of the currently known categorisation, or for those rarer variants not covered elsewhere in the forum

Moderator: Steering Committee

Andy Pandy

Diagnosed with MDS RCMD

Post by Andy Pandy » 29 Apr 2012 15:42

Hi folks
I was diagnosed with MDS RCMD in October 2010 following a move from Lancashire to East Sussex having retired a year before from a busy job. Whilst in Lancashire I had been battling with very bad eczema , which came out quite suddenly and all over my body and this was being treated by a Dermatologist. Whilst all this was happening I had several blood tests with showed irregularities but this was not thought severe enough by the Haemotologist in Lancashire, for whatever reason. The eczema eased following various treatments and prior to our move I was given a steroid injection. Not long after settling in our new house, I started to suffer from Cellulitis in my legs because of still having some open wounds from the eczema on my legs. This was very painful and debilitating and as a normally active and fit person I found very difficult to deal with. I was put on antibiotics and was sent for a blood test which showed low haemoglobin and neutrophils etc. therefore my GP made an appointment for me to see the Haemotologist at the local hospital. On the same day that I went for my appointment the Haemotologist arranged an X-ray, CT Scan and also carried out a bone aspiration and biopsy! Another doctor took a biopsy of a couple of the eczema areas just to test there was nothing else going on. When I went back to see him he confirmed I had MDS RCMD which initially took the wind out of my sails but then I thought - this is what I've got - deal with it! I still suffer very bad cellulitis alternatively in both legs, eye swelling and pain like neuralgia which affects my jaw and eating and also my tongue gets ulcerated which again is very painful eating and when swallowing. My sister and I went to New York in January 2012 to look after her grandchildren for week and my right leg decided to swell up with cellulitis so I immediately started taking my antibiotics which I have a supply of now. I was not going to let this get me down because we had so much to do and see so kept positive and managed all what we had to do apart from one day when it was raining so I elevated my leg and we chilled out. When I got back home I was fine then picked up a very nasty virus, various doctors came to see me and I was bedridden for 3 weeks with chest infections and feeling generally very ill. Since then I've had two more bouts of cellulitis and an eye infection, together with stiff jaw, neuralgia, etc. I'm due to see the Haematologist again on Tuesday 1st May so keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I take B-vits every morning and drink some lukozade during the day, especially when I feel tired. My daughter who lives in Lancashire is very supportive and advised me to put a post on the forum and told me about the book which I've just ordered from Amazon 'MDS -100 questions and answers, so will read with interest. I go to Cyprus with my sister on 9th May for 2 months so looking forward to the sun, salt water and relaxing. My sister, who lives in Surrey, is very supportive and we email and talk to each other regularly. My partner of 36 years is very good and looks after me, cooks, cleans when necessary and shops but he doesn't fully understand what it's all about and doesn't seem to want to know. I think he is probably frightened at the prospect of me being ill and he keeps himself busy looking after the garden. 8-)
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
chris

Re: Diagnosed with MDS RCMD

Post by chris » 30 Apr 2012 15:23

Hi there.

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you find a lot of support on here as it is a very rare disesase which we all have.

Sorry to hear (and personally sympathise) with the cellulitis which is very, very painful. This was a symptom I had long before I even knew I had MDS! In your case the eczema must be an aggravating factor. For what it's worth, I now try as hard as I can to prevent it taking hold by avoiding any open wounds, scratches etc. Harder to do in the summer with sandals and bare legs! Also, at the slightest redness or heat around an area, I apply some tea tree-based antiseptic cream with aloe vera gel and raise the affected leg as much as possible. Sometimes, this will avoid a full-blown attack but, if not, you already have the antibiotics ready to go!

Ditto the mouth ulcers - they are another common symptom of neutropenia and can really make you feel miserable as it spoils your enjoyment of eating when every mouthful sends you through the roof!

Glad you have sent away for the book - though Sophie Wintrich, our MDS patient liaison person would have sent you a FREE copy!! If you ever have any queries, do contact her - details on the Contact Us bit of this site. You already have some good support from your daughter and sister. If you get the chance, do go along to a Patient Forum - there's usually one in London each September and it might be a good idea to take your partner along. There is a big range of severity of MDS and the difficulty is that it is sometimes hard to predict the who, what and when of it progressing to something more serious so it might help if he also has a source of support. There are always relatives there who share their own concerns.

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and that you have all your questions answered. It might be worth asking about any dietary advice especially in view of your planned holiday to Cyprus next week. I'm not sure how low your neutrophils are but below a certain level there are certain foods which are best avoided and the doctor can probably tell you about this.

You can put your details of your MDS as part of your signature ( see instructions on the Forum from Sophie on how to do this.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 04 May 2012 15:11

Hi Chris

Thank you for all your very useful advice - everything is helpful :!: I was particularly interested in the tea tree-based antiseptic cream with aloe vera gel so thank you for that and elevating my affected leg (which I already do when I can) . My appointment went well mainly because I had listed all my cellulitis and other infections since the last appointment and I had also put all my questions at the bottom for the Haemotologist to see. He kept his copy. This way I did not forget to ask him anything. My haemoglobin was much improved and my neutrophils had risen a bit which was very good news - these took a knock back when I suffered a virus in February. He has also written to my GP to make an appointment for me to see a Dermatologist for my eczema outbreaks and when I get back from Cyprus he is starting me on a G-CSF course to see how I get on with that. He also arranged a blood test on the day to test my autoimmune in case I need B12 - it seems he had missed doing this before but because of the return of the eczema he felt it worth doing. I felt I was getting somewhere and was relieved that my condition hadn't worsened. I go back to see him in early July when I get back from Cyprus. Would you believe it the Cellulitis started up in my left leg the day after I had seen him so I phoned my GP who advised the usual antibiotics which I am currently taking and he has prescribed enough for me to take away just in case of any problems. I've started another list! I'm always very careful with my diet, I never touch anything undercooked and very careful to wash everything thoroughly and drink bottled water. Because my sister has an apartment in Cyprus we do eat in a fair bit and she is very careful and looks after my diet very well. I wear beach shoes when swimming in the lovely salt water which helps my eczema, I'm also very careful to wear a high factor suncream and hat when out in the sun. I don't swim in the pool because of the chlorine. I found the book extremely helpful which also gave dietry advice so have taken that all on board. Thank you again for all your advice.

Kind regards
Andrea ;)
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
chris

Post by chris » 04 May 2012 20:33

Hi Andrea

Thanks for updating us and it sounds as though your appointment was very useful and productive. Your doctor is being very thorough and it's always good to check the B12 as that can be easily remedied! That cellulitis is a real pain isn't it so let's hope that the G-CSF injections are going to be helpful in reducing the frequency of those infections. Meanwhile, I'm sure some sea and (sensible!) sun will do it good!!

By the way, we were told by a dietician on a recent MDS patient forum not to drink ordinary i.e. still bottled water (especially spring/spa water) as some of it may have higher bacteria levels than UK tap water (though probably not the case in Cyprus) but she did recommend the use of fizzy bottled water as the process of putting in the bubbles makes it bacteriologically safe.

Oh, I also have the dreaded enlarged spleen and it's creeping up in size -now 18-19.5 cm in length. I have bi-annual ultrasounds to keep an eye on it and also give a more subjective measurement than palpation. Sometimes I get left shoulder pain which is apparently a mis-allocation of the source of the pain in the spleen by the brain!!

I do hope you have a wonderful and relaxing holiday and time with your sister. I'd give anything for a bit of warmth (and dry!) at the moment as my allotment plantings are falling behind.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “MDS Type: Unclassified and other variants”