Hello from new member fingasphil

Moderator: Steering Committee

fingasphil

Hello from new member fingasphil

Post by fingasphil » 13 Apr 2011 19:04

Thanks for allowing me access to the forums, I will take this opportunity to introduce myself.

My name is Phil Watson, I am a 62 y/o male living in Yorkshire. After suffering MDS for several years my condition deteriorated such that it was decided my best hope was a BM transplant. So, in late April last year I was admitted to St James hospital Leeds where I had my first transplant on May 7th. Unfortunately this never really succeeded and was deemed to have failed by September.

In November I was readmitted and transplanted a second time. This has been successful so far and a biopsy done around 100 days post transplant indicates 100% donor cells. My strength is returning slowly and I feel a little better as each day passes.

Sometime in the near future I will write a more detailed account of my transplants and post it in the "my experience" folder.

Thanks for taking the time to read this intro and I look forward to any comments/questions that may arise.

Kind regards to all....phil..
janetstanford

Re: Hello from new member fingasphil

Post by janetstanford » 25 Apr 2011 00:42

hi and welcome
hope all is well and you are getting better fitter ect as each day dawns

please take care look forward to your posts

janet
chris

Post by chris » 04 May 2011 11:46

Hi Phil

Thanks for posting your experiences. It must have been quite a blow to have gone through a BMT and all the side effects and then find out it had not worked? Did it take a lot of courage to have another one? Was the same donor used the second time? Do you know what type of MDS you had and what really triggered the decision to opt for the transplant?

If you have the time and energy it would be great if you could post your experiences under the "My experiences" folder as those of us with a stem cell transplant possibly lurking in the background would be interested in what might lie ahead - good and bad. Hopefully, you are now free from transfusions and are being weaned off the anti-rejection drugs?

At 100 days, it sounds as though the graft has taken so that is really great news and I wish you well.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
dinace1

Post by dinace1 » 17 May 2011 03:01

Hi Phil
Just wanted to say, brilliant news, I am so glad for you that you are now on the road to recovery.
Yours
Denine
Jayne

Post by Jayne » 20 May 2011 09:48

Hi Phil
I hope you are still recovering day by day and not had any blips. It would be good to know how you are now.

I'm at St James as well, do you see Prof. Bowen?

I am hopefully a way off a bmt but would love to hear your story as to what happened and how you found the hospital and staff and the overall experience.

Take care
All the best
Jayne
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.

Return to “Say hello”