Is there a match?

Post here for any general stem cell transplant related issues

Moderator: Steering Committee

BPBS9

Is there a match?

Post by BPBS9 » 08 Aug 2023 18:07

Hi - I was assessed some months ago, but in the end did not need to have a STC straight away - though I will need one soon. I was wondering, is there a way I can find out whether a match was found for me (non-family) - sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is on my mind. Thanks.
chris

Re: Is there a match?

Post by chris » 08 Aug 2023 23:42

Hello there again.

Again, I’m sure that your clinical team will be able to inform you whether a match for you had been found, how good a match it was and possibly whether there were other potential matches? Clearly, they don’t know if the donor is needed just yet but it would be good for you to be reassured that there was a potential donor, should a stem cell transplant be suggested at some future date.

Have you had your genetic mutations checked too as these may affect how long you can stay on lenalidomide and can also affect the outcomes of a stem cell transplant?

I realised when I was being “scoped” for a transplant, that it doesn’t always mean that your clinicians expect to proceed with one. Rather, it is to rule in or out the possibility so that they know and can plan accordingly for other treatment options.

I hope you can get the answers you want and it’s definitely not a stupid question!

All best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “Stem Cell Transplants: General”