Travel Insurance - Feb 2023

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

AVSW20

Travel Insurance - Feb 2023

Post by AVSW20 » 04 Mar 2023 18:57

Hello UK Forum Users

I approached two insurance companies in February 2023 this year for quotes for annual travel insurance. They were called Avanti and Staysure. After declaring MDS as a pre-existing medical condition they asked five questions:

1. Has the condition progressed to acute myeloid leukaemia? Yes / No
2. Have you had a bone marrow or stem cell transplant that has resulted in a complete remission? Yes / No
3. Have you required a blood transfusion within the last 12 months? Yes / No
4. Have you required treatment for any infections within the last 12 months? Yes / No
5. How many unplanned hospital admissions have you had for this condition in the last 2 years? 0 / 1 / 2 or more

My answers were No, No, No, No and 0 to these questions. Both companies gave me on-the-spot quotations, including cover for MDS, without me needing to speak to an adviser or answer any further questions. I went with Avanti.

Avanti also offered my "friends" a 20% discount, valid for 3 months from 28 Feb 2023, so feel free to use this if it would help you. The link is https://avantitravelinsurance.mention-m ... e/cw?epr=1

AJ
Diagnosed with MDS-SF3B1 in September 2022
chris

Re: Travel Insurance - Feb 2023

Post by chris » 04 Mar 2023 20:19

Hi there. Thanks so much for posting this. Very helpful details. Hope you enjoy your year of travels.

And really nice of you to share the link for your MDS “friends” to get a bit of a discount too!! You’ll get a lot of friends I guess!! 😂😂😂😂

Take care

Chris D
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
IBCB24

Post by IBCB24 » 06 Mar 2023 11:32

As a 51 year old who was recently diagnosed this is super helpful, thank you
Devjon

Post by Devjon » 09 Jul 2023 09:26

AVSW20 wrote: 04 Mar 2023 18:57 Hello UK Forum Users

I approached two insurance companies in February 2023 this year for quotes for annual travel insurance. They were called Avanti and Staysure. After declaring MDS as a pre-existing medical condition they asked five questions:

1. Has the condition progressed to acute myeloid leukaemia? Yes / No
2. Have you had a bone marrow or stem cell transplant that has resulted in a complete remission? Yes / No
3. Have you required a blood transfusion within the last 12 months? Yes / No
4. Have you required treatment for any infections within the last 12 months? Yes / No
5. How many unplanned hospital admissions have you had for this condition in the last 2 years? 0 / 1 / 2 or more

My answers were No, No, No, No and 0 to these questions. Both companies gave me on-the-spot quotations, including cover for MDS, without me needing to speak to an adviser or answer any further questions. I went with Avanti.

Avanti also offered my "friends" a 20% discount, valid for 3 months from 28 Feb 2023, so feel free to use this if it would help you. The link is https://avantitravelinsurance.mention-m ... e/cw?epr=1

AJ
I thought I'd add to this conversation. Our daughter has suggested a trip to Japan to eet up with one of our sons. I visited both sites and put in dates for a random fortnight in September 2024. I tried Avanti firsst and got a quote from them, when I went to Staysure I noticed the form was identical, and digging deeper found that They are sister companies, with Staysure owned by Avanti I believe. While I was looking into ownership my search pulled up numerous complaints about these companies. I will dig a little deeper when we get nearer the date we propose to travel.

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”