Timing of bone marrow biopsy

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Re: Timing of bone marrow biopsy

Post by chris » 30 Nov 2022 21:07

HI there, AJ.

Welcome back - after 2 years! Thanks for the update. So pleased to hear your bone marrow biopsy in June was pain -free! You must have wondered what we were all going on about - although I note I was the only one on this thread to say it was painful! Other people may have been kinder and wanted to spare you! Or maybe they were pain-free too?! Sorry! It can depend on the skill of the doctor doing it and allowing enough time for the local anaesthetic to work its way through to the bone, I think.

And also pleased to hear that, as a result, you now have a more definitive diagnosis of your type of MDS and a plan for treatment. Do let us know how the EPO goes (please post this on the Treatment topic). Also, I'm very impressed that your current haematologist is using the very new, hot-off-the-press MDS-SF3B1 classification, instead of MDS-RS (MDS with Ringed Sideroblasts). The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the International Consensus Classification (ICC) have both recently come up with some new classifications for MDS, based on new knowledge about the impact of various genetic mutations which are known to have an impact on how the disease may progress over time. I hope you have been able to get good information and some reassurance about your particular sub-type?

Presume you are now at a different hospital from the one that did not have a bone marrow biopsy done? Hope that getting the additional opinion/ transferring your care has made you more confident in your clinicians?

Don't forget to look out for our online Zoom patient support meetings where others may be glad to hear of your experiences.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Devjon

Post by Devjon » 01 Dec 2022 09:36

I'd like to add my experience of having a bone marrow biopsy. I had two biopsies several weeks apart as evidently the first biopsy got "spoiled" I found the procedure to be pain free, I was offered a mild sedative but declined as it would have meant waiting for a few hours for the sedation to wear off. The second biopsy was done by the consultant herself. I laughed out loud when she turned up with a small plastic toolbox such as you see in Wilko for about £7! She told me it was the perfect size for all the biopsy paraphernalia 😁 The Doctor applied a local anaesthetic and was done and dusted in no time at all. We had a look at the sample it its phial, a lot smaller than I expected.
SHPR4

Post by SHPR4 » 21 Jun 2023 09:50

Hi
I had bone marrow biopsy in Nov 22, following referral to haematologist for low Hb. It was 95 and had been dropping slowly for at least 2 years. Small amount of pain, but tolerable. Diagnosis 4 weeks later of MDS MLD RS, now apparently known as MDS SF3B1. Hb now 90 and my consultant had suggested I start EPO if it drops any lower. I feel ok, have to pace myself though if walking uphill for example. Also having some cardiac investigations due to a chest discomfort episode, though I now think this was related to my anaemia.

Return to “Bone Marrow Biopsies”