Hb dropped

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Jayne

Hb dropped

Post by Jayne » 05 Aug 2011 09:44

Oh dear. I have just got the results of my last blood test and my Hb has dipped to 81. This is the lowest it has ever been. I must say I have been feeling lethargic this week and I struggled with my exercise class on Monday.

We go on holiday next Wednesday (we had booked with Aegean airlines so our flights were cancelled, so I had to find alternative flights which cost us £1650!!!) It's not been the best of weeks. ;)

It just all seems to be going wrong, roll on our holiday when I can glue myself to a sunbed, with the odd dip in a pool.

Jayne :(
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.
janetstanford

Re: Hb dropped

Post by janetstanford » 05 Aug 2011 14:04

HI Jayne
Sorry to hear about your bloods yes 8.1 would make you feel low and unable to do a lot we are all treated so different if i was at that i would be in the next day for 3 units..

Agean flights are on the news at the moment awful situation although the cost was high you managed to get other flights and i guess it could take weeks to get a refund for your ist booking ?? if at all possible
we had booked with Opodo and then they changed the filghts it added 5hrs to a long journey so i took the refund and waited a couple of weeks and got same fights cheaper and from Newcastle airport.....

Hope you feel more positive at the moment
Janet :)
Jayne

Post by Jayne » 05 Aug 2011 14:08

Hi Janet

Thanks for the reply. I have just booked Monday and Tuesday off work as well, so today is now my last day, yippee!! So I now have 3 weeks off which I am really looking forward too.

We will get a refund on our flights, but dont know when!

Anyway, must crack on. I have loads to do now I have booked the extra days off :roll:
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 05 Aug 2011 14:38

HI
Lots to do yes but pack your case 1st it is the most important ;)
chris

Post by chris » 07 Aug 2011 21:58

Hi Jayne

Sorry your Hb results were low. Now wonder you were struggling with your exercise class and I'm sure that the worry of the changed flights (and additional costs!!) doesn't help either. Try not to do too much tomorrow and Tuesday - though packing and overseeing your kids' packing isn't exactly relaxing! Maybe treat yourself to a massage or something relaxing while you are on holiday. Hope you have some good books? When are your next tests? Maybe they will improve again after a good holiday. I think you said that had been up and down a bit? These accursed numbers- it really alters your mood when you get worsened results.

Janet - you too a victim of flight problems? Glad you have sorted them - to your advantage!!!

Why do these things always happen in the peak season. For about 9 years now, once our "children" decided that going away with us en famille was not "cool" anymore, we have been free to go away out of school holidays. It's bliss!!! But then, we are (almost - counting the days!!!) both retired so you can't have it all!!!

Hope you both have good holidays.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 08 Aug 2011 09:26

Hi Chris
this is our first holiday withoutchildren and we are going in September i hope it is bliss :?: my daughter is not happy we are not taking her but she starts her course so that is more important ...at the moment i am running about buying extra of everything to ensure they run out of nothing :?: ...and just 2 transfusions to go i will be transfused the day before so i will have lots of energy...going to need it

take care janet
chris

Post by chris » 08 Aug 2011 15:12

Hi Janet, Good for you! Hope it is bliss - though I did miss my kids for the first few times!
Don't worry about them running out of something and run yourself ragged before you have even left. They have to learn to fend for themselves and it's character-forming to eat cold baked beans from the tin!!!

Hope you are well-tanked up with energy for your holiday.

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 08 Aug 2011 18:25

HI Chris
:lol: you might not believe this but my daughter has this horrible habit of eating cold peas out of the tin :?: :roll: honestly i have asked and she just says i want to .. i give up and do not watch :!: ...and running out on other side i do want to leave money as it may end up spent on take aways ...and i would never forgive myself if the cat was not looked after while i am away ...Lucy must have her home comforts :P

Janet
juneadams

Post by juneadams » 09 Aug 2011 20:47

Have a great time Janet, Just a note to let you both know I had my first transfusion yesterday 2 units 4 hours & today I feel normal the first time in 16months Now I know what you are both talking about

June
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 09 Aug 2011 20:57

HI June

good to hear from you and normal yes 8-) bet you feel you could run up the stairs ect also just wait for the red hot feet whilst in bed for the ist couple of weeks i sleep with mine sticking out and then they go cold towards the end of the month ... i am so pleased it went well for you i was a little anxious at the first few of mine ...
have they given you a date to go back for a blood ect to see when or if you need another transfusion or have the ward booked you in for example in a month or so....

pleased you are well and tell me how did the fund raising for waggy tails go

hear from you soon 8-)

Return to “General Chat”