Not many symptoms....

Please post here your experiences of MDS as a patient, carer, family or friend

Moderator: Steering Committee

AMTA3

Not many symptoms....

Post by AMTA3 » 08 Mar 2011 13:22

I was diagnosed with MDS some 12 months ago and only found out by chance. I went for a well man type check and this showed I wasn't well. I had been tired for ages and had the odd nose bleed but that was it. I went for the normal tests - blood, bone marrow biopsy etc and the diagnoses followed. To be honest, it does not seem to affect me much at the moment. I am 52 and never been sporty, a bit overweight and worked shifts. I now know that I have problems with production of platelets and cells and also found out that I do not produce enough testosterone so have three weekly jabs. I was also looked at for Kleinfelters syndrome (making me XXY) but this was suddenly rules out without any real explanation as to why it was thought I had it initially. I also have a problem with my liver and am undergoing tests at present as I have veins in my throat (varicies) which have ruptured twice and I have ended up in A&E. I consider myself lucky - I cannot fly at present but otherwise live life to the full as much as I can and keep positive. It could go horribly wrong so I have a Do It Now approach to most things. I am also very lucky that I go to Yarty wards at the Royal Devon & Exeter hospital where the staff are brilliant and nothing is ever too much trouble for them.

Return to “Our Stories”