MDS and exercise

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Karen

MDS and exercise

Post by Karen » 22 Feb 2012 13:02

Hello all

After being laid up with a misdiagnosed vasular problem that affected his legs, Dad is now back on his feet.

However, he spent nearly two months pretty much imobile and as a result his fitness/stamina levels are not what they were which means that he get fatigued more easily. Exercise would naturally help build up his fitness levels and leg muscles, but his MDS means that he gets breathless quite easily even when walking (especially coming up to a transfusion). It's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

So, a jog round the park is obviously out of the question. I considered getting him one of those pedal leg exerciser things that you can use sitting down, but I'm not sure he'd use it or that it would help.

I was wondering if any of you had techniques for keeping fit whilst dealing with the breathlessness and fatigue that comes with MDS.

Karen x
Jayne

Re: MDS and exercise

Post by Jayne » 22 Feb 2012 13:13

Hi Karen

I must say since I was diagnosed I have been rather rubbish at exercising! I can ride my bike, initially I get a bit breathless but I seem to adjust and then I am ok.

I have also swam. Only 1 or 2 lengths at a time, then a stop and a chat (to my mum, lol) and then another 1 or 2 lengths and so on. I then had a nice relax in the 'bubble' pool!

I think any sort of movement is helpful, so I would probably just start with a short walk or even a spot of gardening, digging can be quite energetic and gardening is also very rewarding when you get to see the results of your hard work! When a transfusion is due if your Dad is tired he is probably best off resting more. I do believe you should listen to your body as well.

Hope this helps!
Jayne
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.
chris

Post by chris » 22 Feb 2012 13:49

Hi Karen and Jayne

I am hoping that Sophie will soon be posting on this site some very useful information about fatigue and exercise from Julie Burkin, an occupational Therapist at Addenbrookes, so keep a look out for this. She delivered this at the London Forum and it does support graded and regular exercise as one of the strategies for managing fatigue. Avoiding exercise can lead to having less energy which in turn can make you feel more tired! Your father probably needs to do just a little each day to break the habit of not doing anything. I'm sure anything - however gentle - would help and one of those pedal exercisers while he is watching the telly could be a good compromise!

I hope he soon feels a bit more energised.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
chris

Post by chris » 22 Feb 2012 13:53

PS

There is one presentation about fatigue already on this site - not the one I mentioned but it gives a good overview. Check it out at:

http://mdspatientsupport.org.uk/content ... ueTalk.pdf

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Karen

Post by Karen » 29 Feb 2012 11:17

Thanks chis, I'll check out that publication and keep an eye out for the other one that you mentioned.

Take care.

Karen x

Return to “General Chat”