Latest Haematologist results.

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Latest Haematologist results.

Post by red » 16 Jul 2014 10:56

Hi All,
Went to see my Haematologist yesterday,
Results are not as good as I hoped.
Haemoglobin 119
White Blood Cells 2.83
Neutrophils 0.38
Platelets 35
Been getting a lot of infections and my Haematologist has told me to take extra care with infections.
I'm on a merry go round of infection - antibiotics followed by thrush at both ends. I have been told that I may have to take antibiotics prophylactically as my count goes down.
Anyone else in this position?
Winnie (red)
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
Cheryl C

Re: Latest Haematologist results.

Post by Cheryl C » 07 Aug 2014 08:24

Hi Red.

My platelets are a lot better than yours - around 130 this year so far. I doubled the standard dose of Vitamin D3 and I think that helped.

My Hb and especially my WCC is worse than yours, with neutrophils around the same and I have hypogammaglobulinaemia, but I rarely suffer from infections. I can only tell you what I do to try and avoid infections: firstly I avoid sugar and dairy products as much as possible, secondly I take Echinacea 5000 mg at the first hint of a sore throat and until it disappears (usually only need 2 doses), thirdly I take a couple of Cranberry capsules at the slightest hint of a urinary tract infection and keep taking those too until the symptoms go. You can break them into water if you want a quick fix. This year I've only had 1 double lot of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. Finally, I have a monthly infusion of gamma globulin for the hypo and I think that also helps my immune system though it doesn't make any difference to my WCC or neutrophil count.

Hope this info is helpful for you! I know what it's like to be fighting infections, as I have had neutropenia for about 10 years now and I didn't know what to do to help myself at the beginning.

All the best Red......Cheryl
Diagnosed with MDS RAEB2 Sep 2011. Now MDS RCMD + Hypogammaglobulinaemia. Main problem: WCC - neutrophils. In Watch and Wait mode.

Return to “General Chat”