Bone marrow biopsy

Moderator: Steering Committee

nickjw

Bone marrow biopsy

Post by nickjw » 17 Nov 2008 17:54

Hi all
My father has been told that he must have a bone marrow biopsy. Can someone explain to me what this involves?
Frank

Re: Bone marrow biopsy

Post by Frank » 17 Nov 2008 18:07

Hi Nick
"Under a short anaesthetic a small sample of your bone marrow is taken out (normally from your large hipbone) and also a fragment of the bone itself for examination under a high-power microscope. This can show whether the primary cells in the bone marrow (the stem cells) from which the others derive are in good order or not. In this way, it can not only be determined whether you have MDS but also which variety ...."

Got this from a really useful website dedicated to http://www.mds-rexbirch.webspace.virginmedia.com
- a lot of other useful stuff here from a non-doctors perspective.

Hope this helps

o:)
Debbie

Post by Debbie » 17 Nov 2008 18:46

Just to say, if it becomes painful after you've had a few, as it did with me, ask the doc for a sedative (I think it is something like Versed) ... magic!

nickjw

Post by nickjw » 18 Nov 2008 10:06

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I will pass on to my father.
nickjw

Post by nickjw » 18 Nov 2008 10:06

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I will pass on to my father.
calorady

Post by calorady » 23 May 2011 08:22

What does a benign mole biopsy with cell changes mean? I had a mole biopsy yesterday. The results said that though there is no cancer, there are some cell changes. My doctor said that more skin will need to be removed once this is healed. What does this mean exactly? I am very scared.
Last edited by calorady on 25 May 2011 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Jayne

Post by Jayne » 23 May 2011 16:11

I would definitely recommend requesting being sedated. I wasn't, and when they did the bone marrow biopsy, oh my god it really was painful. They have promised to sedate me in future! The area is also a little painful/tender for a couple of days. It's not nice but unfortunately it's necessary. ;)
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.

Return to “Bone Marrow Biopsies”