Cellulitis for the 5th time in 10 months

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Re: Cellulitis for the 5th time in 10 months

Post by red » 29 Jul 2014 18:23

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the advise, I am doing all that. Been trying to get a cleaner for a couple of hours a week too. My wonderful son in law has installed air conditioning in my bungalow and I'm really enjoying having a cool room.the only time I stand up is to go to the loo or to make a drink. My daughter made some stew and I have that in the freezer and a neighbour made quich for me. I 'm so lucky.
It's 12 days since I went on 4000 mg of Flucloxacillin it's looking much better but not healed up. I'm ringing my GP tomorrow.
Hope your feeling better.
Regards
Winnie
Red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
red

Post by red » 30 Jul 2014 19:13

Dear Chris,
My GP has put me on 4000 Flucloxacillin for another week. My dedicated GP is on holiday so I saw one of the partners. My haematologist, when I was diagnosed last year wrote to my GP saying that eventually I would have to take antibiotics prophylacticly. He also told me that infection would probably kill me before my MDS did and that I had a median life expectancy of 31/2 years. I intend to prove him wrong.
Regards,
Winnie
Red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
chris

Post by chris » 31 Jul 2014 10:37

Dear Winnie

Good for you!!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
red

Post by red » 04 Aug 2014 19:25

Hi Chris,
Cellulitis still not cleared up and GP put me on another week of Flucloxacillin 4000 a day.
Last night had the most awful time wanted to be sick but could not my skin felt as it was on fire head thumped and then a dash to the Loo. I ended up having a cool shower, changed the sheets and went back to bed. Visited GP and she said I'd probably had an allergic reaction.. I'm now on Doxycline for a week and they did a blood test to see if my white cells have gone done again.
Regards,
Winnie

Life is for living
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 06 Aug 2014 12:20

Dear Winnie
I am glad to hear you are on the mend even if it's a slow progress. You would think you should be free from ills in the summer months wouldn't you. My hubby had an upset tummy which went on for a few days longer than I felt it should but he is better now, just as it rains and he would like to be off down the golf course.
Take care
Love
Molly
Xx
69 yrs hubby - CMML 1 dx Feb 2013
raised Monocytes was watch and wait
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
Jan 14 blood OK back on w&w
Jan 19 disease advancement to CMML-F (fibrosis)
Cheryl C

Post by Cheryl C » 07 Aug 2014 08:32

Cellulitis is horrible! I've also had it on my leg years ago. The pain when you put your foot to the floor is awful. I find I need to treat scratches and wounds or burns straight away (I use peroxide) to avoid infections. I did have some cellulitis in my hand recently after burning myself and not treating promptly. Once I started soaking a bandaid in peroxide and applying it to the wound regularly it started to clear up quite quickly.

Do you take acidophilus capsules for a while after completing antibiotic therapy? Usually that will help you to avoid thrush. I take the non-dairy variety as I find that dairy foods give me phlegm and create a good environment for coughs and colds.
Diagnosed with MDS RAEB2 Sep 2011. Now MDS RCMD + Hypogammaglobulinaemia. Main problem: WCC - neutrophils. In Watch and Wait mode.
red

Post by red » 07 Aug 2014 18:56

Hi Cheryl
Thanks for your post but unfortunately I can't use anything like peroxide. I suffer from two different skin diseases, Epidermolysis Bullosa simplex (a rare blistering condition) and varicose vein ecezema which is a very dry itchy condition. I need to moisturise my skin and unfortunately I am allergic to most emulents. Over the years I have had blood poisoning several times. So MDS is a double whammy. My haematologist says that I will probably die of infection before MDS kills me.
I don't give up easily and I believe life is for living and I intend to do just that.
All the best,
Winnie
red

Life is for living
Cheryl C

Post by Cheryl C » 20 Aug 2014 11:48

That's a shame, Red! You are under the pump having cellulitis as well as those pre-existing conditions.

I take no notice of statistics either. Like you I'm more likely to die of an infection, but I never waste any time worrying about it, and nor do I consider myself to be a cancer patient.
Diagnosed with MDS RAEB2 Sep 2011. Now MDS RCMD + Hypogammaglobulinaemia. Main problem: WCC - neutrophils. In Watch and Wait mode.
red

Post by red » 20 Aug 2014 17:48

Hi Cheryl,
Thanks for your support. Leg now better and Saturday went to Lyme Regis with daughter and granddaughter , Sunday to Lullworth cove with my friend Tish. To day spent the day at Weston super Mare with Tish and next Monday my boy friend is coming to stay for a week and we may go away for a few days..
Life is for living,
All the best,
Winnie

Life is for living
punda milia

Post by punda milia » 29 Aug 2014 09:32

Hi Winnie

I am so sorry to hear that you are having so many problems - low blood counts, cellulitis, infections etc. I was, however, delighted to hear that you have been referred to a Centre of Excellence at Cardiff.

Thinking of you so much

Diana
66 year female. Diagnosed with mds 2012. In 2002 treated for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma with chlorambucil. Have enlarged macrocytes, low neutrophils & low white cells. Also have Trisomy 8 & classified Intermediate 1. Now on watch & wait

Return to “General Chat”