Micro Wave ovans and Micro waves in general.

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Micro Wave ovans and Micro waves in general.

Post by red » 04 Dec 2013 13:20

Has anyone heard that Microwave ovens and micro waves in general i.e. from a hub. can lower platelets? I have been told that this is true. My platelets are down to 57 and my neutrophils are 0.77 I cook all the time with a microwave oven and often reheat food using a microwave. Has anyone else heard of this?

I have -20q with trans.1-9 type of MDS and was given a median life expectancy of three and a half years in June 2013 so far I am on watch and wait and go back to see my Haematologist in March (4 month check up)
Winnie (red)
70 year old widow who lives alone hence the over use of a microwave oven
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
chris

Re: Micro Wave ovans and Micro waves in general.

Post by chris » 04 Dec 2013 17:05

Dear Winnie

I honestly would not worry yourself about this as I have certainly never seen any researched links between MDS and microwave ovens etc! Ask your doctor if you are concerned but I am sure they will be able to reassure you.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
red

Re: Micro Wave ovans and Micro waves in general.

Post by red » 05 Dec 2013 15:59

Thanks for your thoughts Chris.
I have looked this up and cannot find a direct link, however, there are some who believe that Waves from transmitters and some household appliances are not good for ones health. I think in future I will not use mine quite so much. Apparently there was some research done about 30 years ago but I believe a gagging order was put on the experiment. I have found an article saying that blood for transfusions is not warmed up in microwave ovens any more because this alters something in the blood.
Winnie
red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living

Return to “General Chat”