Imatinib mesilate treating MDS

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Graham

Imatinib mesilate treating MDS

Post by Graham » 04 Apr 2013 18:14

According to European Medicines Agency orphan status was granted for the treatment of myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases.

Imatinib mesilate is authorised in the European Union for treatment of adult persons with myelodysplastic diseases according to European Medicines Agency

Imatinib has been in the news lately as cheaper generic versions are now allowed to be produced in certain counties. (India)

Has anyone ever been treated for MDS as by way of a trial or otherwise with Imatinib and if so what were the results.

Good results have been achieved and reported for sufferers of leukemia in extending life expectancy , could the same results be achieved for MDS.

I would be interested in any comments.

Graham
chris

Re: Imatinib mesilate treating MDS

Post by chris » 04 Apr 2013 20:47

HI Graham

Yes, I heard that on the news too and my ears pricked up!! As I understand it, there are only a small number of leukaemia and MDS patients (CMML mainly I believe) with a certain specific type of chromsomal abnormality that respond very well to this drug - also called Gleevec. Here's a link. But personally, no experience and I have not heard of trials of this drug for MDS generally

http://www.lls.org/content/nationalcont ... mljmml.pdf

Have a peruse.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “General Chat”