Haemoglobin test results question

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

redballoon

Haemoglobin test results question

Post by redballoon » 18 Jun 2019 20:25

Wonder if anyone can help please? I have been trying to get travel insurance for my husband and the company are asking for his haemoglobin levels which are supposed to be above 7. My husband has hypocellular bone marrow with dyserythropoiesis and was under the care of a consultant for 3 years after his diagnosis until he unavoidably had to cancel two appointments so was referred back to his GP with a request for 6 monthly blood tests.
My problem is that the GPs test results seem to be in a different language to the hospital blood tests and I’m not sure what his haemoglobin level is now. When he was first diagnosed in 2012 his level was 11.9 g/dl but on the most recent test results I can’t really see anything that relates to this. Would anyone be able to tell me what the haemglobin level would be from the results below please?

Red Blood cell count - 2.73
Haemoglobin estimation 99
Mean corpuscular volume 105.5
Mean corpuscular haemoglobin 36.3
Platelet count 265

Thanks in advance!
AWOX15

Re: Haemoglobin test results question

Post by AWOX15 » 19 Jun 2019 21:23

Contact Sophie at Kings College London. Address on this website.
I’m sure she will be able to help, or point you in the right direction.
Good luck
redballoon

Post by redballoon » 21 Jun 2019 08:15

Hi
Thanks for your reply. Sophie very kindly called me back and was very helpful in resolving my question. Thanks again.
AWOX15

Post by AWOX15 » 21 Jun 2019 09:56

Glad you got some answers. Sophie is so helpful and knowledgeable and most of all she listens.

Return to “General Chat”