Overload Iron

Moderator: Steering Committee

Delwyn

Overload Iron

Post by Delwyn » 21 Aug 2012 07:30

Hi all,
Have been on this chelation pump for about 6 weeks Iron has gone from 4800 to 3200. Had blood transfusion last friday and feel worn out and no energy, surely the RBC wouldnt drop so soon. I am so sick of this illness, I never have a good day anymore. Bless all of you.
janetstanford

Re: Overload Iron

Post by janetstanford » 22 Aug 2012 11:59

Hello Delwyn
good to hear that your iron has dropped thankfully so has mine first time this year from 2300 to 1950 as it happens i also had a transfusion on friday just 2 units which too me up to 10.5 i will be back for another in just over 3 weeks
i do know how you feel i get depressed and sometimes even shed a few tears it is hard ...until about 9 months ago i was so energised after a transfusion then it changed it now takes me a couple of days to get back to what i call normal ...
i know it is difficult coping with the issues of having HB and then the syptoms of low HB what i try to do is make the most of the 2 weeks i have energy i pack as much in as possible and then cope till transfusion time :(
anyway we are here if you need us please take care may hear from you soon :) Janet
chris

Re: Overload Iron

Post by chris » 25 Aug 2012 19:07

Dear Delwyn

So sorry to hear that things are getting you down at the moment and that you are feeling so fatigued. Have you read this article on the site. It gives some very useful tips on conserving energy, as Janet has suggested. It's under the Section "What is MDS" and Information material. Could you talk to your doctor about how you are feeling and maybe ask for some counselling specific to your illness?

http://www.mdspatientsupport.org.uk/wp ... Burkin.pdf

On the positive side, it looks like the chelation drugs are doing their work so that should be one less thing to worry about?

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “MDS Treatment: Iron Overload & Chelation”