MDS RCMD - Feeling quite well (65)

Where the MDS variant falls outside of the currently known categorisation, or for those rarer variants not covered elsewhere in the forum

Moderator: Steering Committee

Andy Pandy

MDS RCMD - Feeling quite well (65)

Post by Andy Pandy » 28 Sep 2012 19:09

Hi folks
I've been reading with interest a lot of the other posts and my diagnosis compared with some you is mild - I hope it stays like it for a while and wish all of those people going through various stages and treatments all the best.
I haven't been into the forum for a while so thought I ought to report back following my last appointment in July (just after my return from 7 weeks in Cyprus). I had a few infections whilst there mainly cellulitis in the legs but fortunately my sister had a friend with a walking stick and I had been given a bumper supply of antibiotics to deal with any outbreaks :!: My Haemotologist was quite happy with my blood tests, he said my neutrophils had increased a lot, mainly from all the VitD from the sunshine 8-) , so was happy with my present condition and I was well pleased with the results. He does not want to see me now (unless I have any problems) until January 2013. I have since seen a Dermatologist about the skin lesions left over from eczema and small patches that break out from time to time. I had another blood test and I will go back to have a biopsy on one of the lesions just to check all ok. Fortunately I have been free of infections for a couple of months which is great.
I find when I'm on my feet a lot that they ache and get stiff and my legs ache so I'm sitting here with my legs elevated. Also I get odd pains in my back from time to time but find that if it is very bad I take anti-inflamatory tablet. Generally with a bit of rest it eases. My partner bought me a pretty walking stick recently so that I can put my old wooden one into retirement.
I make the most of any sunshine down here on the sunshine coast and if the sun shines - I'm out there catching the rays. We've had a bit of rain lately like everywhere else but it promises to be a good weekend so I will be out in the garden.

Take care all of you - Andy :)
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
chris

Re: MDS RCMD - Feeling quite well (65)

Post by chris » 30 Sep 2012 22:42

Hi Andy

Glad you had such a lovely break in Cyprus - pity about the cellulitis though. I do find that if I elevate my leg all day and night at the very first sign I can often avert an attack - even it it means doing this for a few days. It's trying to carry on which causes it to kick off badly!!!

Glad your counts have benefited from a while in the sun - we could all do with a bit more before winter sets in. I had a lovely day on the allotment today - the sun did try to break through. Andy - your signature states that you have neutrophils of 10+ but your total white cells are 3+? I don't think that can be right as the total white cells is a higher value than the separate components?

Confused Chris!!!
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 11 Dec 2012 17:44

Hi Chris

Yes I was confused too :? The jargon got too technical for me in the recent copy letter so I have changed my signature. I know that I have low neutrophils causing the infections and things do improve when I get some sun. I also have days when I feel tired all day which I suppose is the Anaemia kicking in. I do suffer from pains in my feet, wrists and fingers and will suffer it for a while before taking an anti-inflamatory. My skin isn't great - I still suffer from Eczema outbreaks and I need to find out about my recent skin biopsies but the queue in the surgery was a mile long today so gave up. Thank you for drawing my attention to my signature - hope it looks better now.

Seasonal Greetings to all
Andy
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
chris

Post by chris » 12 Dec 2012 12:28

Hi Andy

Thanks for de-confusing me!!

I would really like to know if there really is a measurable effect on blood counts of sunshine!!! I know your doctor said this to you but then they do say lots of things as throwaways just to make conversation and it's not really backed up scientifically!! If it were true, could we all get winter holidays on the NHS! Don't think so somehow! But it would be an interesting piece of research! Maybe it is down to reduction of stress that being on holiday brings, different diet, lack of pollution - the list could go on?!

Hope your January appointment goes well and that you do eventually get to the front of the GP's queue re your skin biopsy results!!

And I am returning your season's greetings. Freezing and foggy here this morning and kept awake by all the foghorns on the Thames last night!!

Take care
Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 12 Dec 2012 17:21

Hi Chris

All I know is that my neutrophils were really low before going to Cyprus following a very bad virus which infected my chest in the February 2012 and following the virus I had almost permanent cellulitis in either one leg or the other and jaw and eye infections. I always keep a schedule of my infections and give this to my Consultant and also my GP (he keeps me supplied with antibiotics). When I was in Cyprus relaxing in the sun and going into the sea, although infections tried to start in my legs, the infection site appeared to be stemmed and although I took antibiotics, the severity of the infection was almost negligible. It is a very different diet there but I am also very careful what I eat. I have recently been going through my infection schedule because I was doing fine until I had the flu jab! As before, the site of the jab swelled and was very sore so I started antibiotics, I felt quite unwell for a week or so and then the cellulitis started again first in my right foot and then my left leg. I am going to put this to my Consultant in January because it seems that the flu jab starts off the infections again. I am free at the moment but due to drive to Lancashire tomorrow for the weekend with my partner to see our daughter and family so I am keeping my fingers crossed that my legs will survive the drive there and back. I keep my legs elevated when sitting. Needless to say my sister and I have booked our flight for Cyprus again staying for 6 weeks from May. Something to look forward to during the dark winter months.
We've had a lovely sunny day here in Eastbourne although I heard it was bad in other areas. I don't think the NHS would fund a holiday in the sun!!

All the best and Seasonal Greetings
Andy

Return to “MDS Type: Unclassified and other variants”