Nutritional information and advice for MDS patients

Share your own personal experience regarding nutrition and the use of different supplements to help with general health.
MDS UK does NOT endorse or recommend any products that may be mentioned here.
MDS UK strongly advises to ALWAYS consult your clinical team before taking ANY supplements.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Forum rules
No promotional materials, no obvious advertising of any products.
Contributors must limit their messages to their own experience and not recommend any supplements to other readers.
MDS UK advises to follow a healthy diet as per our Nutrition Factsheet - and does NOT endorse nor recommend any particular supplements mentioned in the messages below.
MDS patients MUST seek advice from their haematology clinical team before using any supplements.
MDSUK

Nutritional information and advice for MDS patients

Post by MDSUK » 29 Jul 2022 15:28

Take a look at our nutritional factsheet for MDS patients.

You'll also find food safety and dietary advice for those with Grade 1 or Profound Neutropenia.

https://mdspatientsupport.org.uk/wp-con ... on2016.pdf
MDS UK Patient Support Team
Queries:
Call 0207 733 7558
Email info@mdspatientsupport.org.uk
Please do not send PM messages to this account as it is not monitored.
Devjon

Re: Nutritional information and advice for MDS patients

Post by Devjon » 29 Jul 2022 17:02

See, there are people reading the forum ( though I did have to scroll through all the topics to find posts with recent / todays date, for some reason there is no " New Posts " type of flag )

A tad depressing, especially in this hot weather where a pint or two of Cider would go down really well . ( I'd also make the point / Pint that a pint of beer / cider @ 5% is almost 95% water. ;)
I'll bear the advice in mind though, promise!...
chris

Post by chris » 29 Jul 2022 22:36

Hi Kevin

When you log in, you should see a red band. On the left hand side there is a symbol with 3 lines. If you click on it you get a menu. You can select New posts or Active topics. There is even a time range for active topics. That should save you scrolling through the whole lot of topics!!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
RUSE7

Post by RUSE7 » 30 Jul 2022 12:46

Hey Kevin.....surely 95% water counts as water.....right? It would be a sad day indeed when there isn't room in the diet for a good pint.
We've just had a new micro-brewery/pub open up around the corner from us which is very good for the local community. The beer is pretty good and it's nice to have a new venue within walking distance. They aren't doing food yet though which is annoying. I'l keep badgering them about it.
Cheers, Ronnie
Devjon

Post by Devjon » 30 Jul 2022 20:34

chris wrote: 29 Jul 2022 22:36 Hi Kevin

When you log in, you should see a red band. On the left hand side there is a symbol with 3 lines. If you click on it you get a menu. You can select New posts or Active topics. There is even a time range for active topics. That should save you scrolling through the whole lot of topics!!

Best wishes

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'm usually au fait with bulletin boards but I completely missed the ' Hamburger " menu at the top left. ( They are almost always at the top right on the boards that I frequent.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Devjon

Post by Devjon » 30 Jul 2022 20:49

RUSE7 wrote: 30 Jul 2022 12:46 Hey Kevin.....surely 95% water counts as water.....right? It would be a sad day indeed when there isn't room in the diet for a good pint.
We've just had a new micro-brewery/pub open up around the corner from us which is very good for the local community. The beer is pretty good and it's nice to have a new venue within walking distance. They aren't doing food yet though which is annoying. I'l keep badgering them about it.
Cheers, Ronnie
Hi Ronnie,
I'm envious of your new micro brewery / pub. Our local is now a Vets Practice and it's a mile walk to the nearest pub. That's not a problem with regard to distance. We've also got a Micro Brewery on a small industrial estate thats just a bit further in the other direction, it only opens Thursday / Friday mid afternoon to late evening. " Sandbanks Brewing " it's located between the council tip and the Lush factory, so depending on the wind direction can smell exotic or " challenging "
We visit Eight Arch brewery and Tap Room in Wimborne from time to time, but again that's open only on Fridays between 4pm and 8pm.
There are a couple of empty premises in the local shopping area and I would love to see a micro brewery take over one of them, I live in hope.
All the best, Kevin
RUSE7

Post by RUSE7 » 31 Jul 2022 13:58

Hi Kevin,
You're not selling the micro-brewery on the industrial estate very well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope the beer is worth the offence to other senses!
R
Devjon

Post by Devjon » 31 Jul 2022 21:25

RUSE7 wrote: 31 Jul 2022 13:58 Hi Kevin,
You're not selling the micro-brewery on the industrial estate very well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope the beer is worth the offence to other senses!
R
To be fair it's a waste recycling plant and quite modern. There's no organic waste ( apart from wood ) so it doesn't smell too bad. The brewery has an open day on 13th of August, Music and food available, and beer of course. The beers they brew are all named after music tracks, the Stout is " Back in Black ", there's " Golden Years ", a golden ale, and " Wayward Son " which is an IPA.
We'll definitely be popping along to lend our support.

Return to “Nutrition and General Health Supplements”