Husband starting Hydroxycarbamide

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Re: Husband starting Hydroxycarbamide

Post by chris » 12 Nov 2014 11:42

Dear Molly

Good to hear your husband's counts have been stable and that he has been feeling quite OK - that's the main thing!! Very strange re the change in blood pressure medication and the possible effects (or not! ) on his blood counts - except to say that most medications I have been prescribed seem to list changes to blood counts (usually lowering) as a "rare" side effect so to have lowered monocytes ( part of the white cell count) would not be out of the question! As my counts are low, I make myself very aware of anything which might worsen them. Might it be worth asking your haematologist whether the changed medication is likely to affect your husband's blood counts? I knowon the face of it it seems like a god result but maybe it is masking what is really happening?

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 14 Nov 2014 07:53

Hi Chris
Yes, this was my worry too that it's not a true representation of things, another blood test next week then off to Kings in early December will I expect shed more light on the true story. However, for the moment hubby is quite jubilant and off on the "told you they were wrong" and I can't blame him. I just got my final all clear after five years in remission so I think things are a little difficult for him now. We are planning travels again so that should keep him busy. Hope you are well.
Love
Molly
Xxx
69 yrs hubby - CMML 1 dx Feb 2013
raised Monocytes was watch and wait
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
Jan 14 blood OK back on w&w
Jan 19 disease advancement to CMML-F (fibrosis)
chris

Post by chris » 17 Nov 2014 13:36

Hi Molly

Hope there is some clarity next week then! You must be so pleased about your own milestone! Good to go off somewhere nice and think of things other than illnesses!

I'm well, thanks - though the winter anxiety is setting in - especially after the hideous infection I had last January. I still haven't fully recovered my voice and it's playing havoc with my singing (well, that's my excuse!). Have some voice therapy coming but no doubt there will be a long wait as with all NHS services these days!

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “CMML”