Itching

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Itching

Post by red » 07 Jun 2013 10:38

Hi I've several skin disorders which make me itch and I sympathise. I've found the following helps a little:
Have pure cotton bedding not poly nylon.
wear only 100% cotton clothing if possible especially underwear
wear only cotton night wear
cool showers and baths
don't use ordinary soaps
don't get too warm turn the thermostat down a little
don't go in the sun with out a high factor sun cream on
Tell the family to not get on at you when you scratch, explain to them that if you had a limb missing, were blind or deaf they would be sympathetic and that them telling you not to scratch adds to you discomfort, your not doing to irritate them.
I've just been diagnosed with MDS medium risk still don't know what subtype. I see the Haematologist on the 18th June for the rest of my results. My last blood test was:
HB 122 WCC 4.06 neutrophils 0.97 platelets 59
Hope the above is helpful to anyone experiencing itching
Red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
Peterh17

Re: Itching

Post by Peterh17 » 18 Jun 2013 16:08

Thanks for your post. I see your appointment was today and hope all went well and that you had some good, positive results. Regards

Peter
red

Re: Itching

Post by red » 06 Jul 2013 11:53

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your good wishes. My results were a bit of a blow, I'd been put in the low risk category and he now tells me that I am medium risk level 1 with an IPPS score of 1. I'm still on wait and watch and go back on the 13th August. He also said I have a Median life expectancy of 3.5 years. He's encouraging me to live as normal a life as possible and to do all the things I did before MDS. I am going on a caravan holiday in 2 weeks and in September I have booked a week in Crete, staying at a place I've stayed at many times before, the owners are an English woman married to a Greek man so if I have a problem with the doctors they are a safety net. Manolis is also picking us up from the airport and taking us back on our return journey.
red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living

Return to “CMML”