Itchy Skin CMML

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Re: Itchy Skin CMML

Post by chris » 21 May 2013 16:42

Hi Peter

Ooh, that sounds a nightmare. Heat (and we t/ sweat) definitely sound like a trigger? I'd lay money that the CMML is implicated but when one gets a diagnosis of a serious disease, we do tend to lay everything at the door of MDS when it could be something completely different!!

Hope you get answers!

BW

Chirs
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Peterh17

Post by Peterh17 » 25 May 2013 22:13

Thanks Chris.

My Haematologist at Watford has just got a referral for me to see Professor Mufti in July at Kings College Hospital. It will be interesting to get his take on the itching :) . Am going to have to go through another bone marrow aspirate, which I am not particularly looking forward to :( . May try the gas and air option :lol:
chris

Post by chris » 28 May 2013 20:35

Hi Peter

Hopefully the bone marrow biopsy will go OK - it really does seem to be very heaviliy dependent on the skill of the practitioner but, yes, I had gas and air for my 3rd BMB and it did "take me to another place" whilst it was going on!! The 4th one, the gas and air was there on standby but the doctor was so good I didn't feel I needed it.

If anybody knows about the CMML and the itching links, if any, Prof Mufti will as he sees so many cases of MDS at Kings.

Keep us posted.

best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Freddy

Post by Freddy » 04 Jun 2013 17:32

Hi Peter,

My wife was prescribed "Balmian Plus", which seems to work at the moment and has reduced the bouts of itching, especially after showering.

The other things they discussed were Chilli Cream and light treatment, but thankfully we have not got to that stage yet.

Hope that helps, Freddy.
Peterh17

Post by Peterh17 » 06 Jun 2013 18:05

Thanks Freddy for the info. The Balmian cream seems a possibility and I think I am going to be having the light treatment (phototherapy). Not sure about the chilli treatment - maybe the burning sensation takes your mind off the itching :?
Peterh17

Post by Peterh17 » 18 Jun 2013 16:06

Hi Freddy,

I have been searching the internet for the Balmian Plus cream you mentioned and can find nothing about it. Can you please confirm the name is correct and also perhaps the company that makes it? Many thanks. Peter
Freddy

Post by Freddy » 18 Jun 2013 17:24

Hi Peter,

Sorry I spelt it wrong... its called Balneum Plus Cream made by Almirall a German Company. As far as I know its only available on prescription.

Regards Freddy.
Peterh17

Post by Peterh17 » 28 Jun 2013 17:22

Thanks Freddy for the info. It appears to be available over the counter. I shall speak with the dermatologist on the next visit in a couple of weeks. As it happens, I have had virtually no itching for the last 10 days or so, just a few very mild itches, which seem s fine. I don't know why it should suddenly stop - I have had a bad cough and cold - the cough is still lingering, I haven't changed my diet (I eat and enjoy). I have also had some hayfever. Otherwise I am not doing anything different. I have recently had prayer for healing and know that the Lord can do amazing things.
Peterh17

Post by Peterh17 » 02 Oct 2013 19:48

Hi Folks,

I have recently finished a course of intense chemo for what had become Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. I noticed that my itching stopped. The haematologist said it was probably Aquagenic Pruritis. I looked it up on the internet and it seemed to fit the bill. There is a link between it and Leukaemia. The normal non-chemo treatment is generally phototherapy.
Anyway, after leaving hospital for about three weeks and my bloods going all over the place again (not a problem) the pruritus has returned, but so far only very mildly. I expect it to go again with the next cycle of chemo.

Peter
chris

Post by chris » 21 Oct 2013 13:38

Hi Peter

That must have been a releif! Maybe it is the high white cells which cause the itching and the chemo brings them down?

Keep us updated.

Chris

Return to “CMML”