Father-in-law has CMML

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Lolasmum

Father-in-law has CMML

Post by Lolasmum » 08 Oct 2012 12:28

Hello,

my father-in-law was diagnosed with CMML in March 2012. He is 62. This site is great... I have felt so helpless, seeing such a fit and healthy man deteriorate so quickly and in so much pain is so hard.

He is under Dr. Mufti at KCL which reading the info on this forum is definitely giving me hope!

Anna xxx
chris

Re: Father-in-law has CMML

Post by chris » 08 Oct 2012 13:49

Dear Anna

Thanks for posting and so sorry to hear that your father-in-law has been so unwell.

As you may have read, I am also 62 and have CMML and, although I had a scary experience when the disease "kicked off", it has since been quite stable - which I am exceedingly relieved about.

CMML takes on a lot of different forms and, like MDS generally, no 2 sufferers seem to be the same. Please do contact Sophie as she will be able to send you lots of information about MDS and there is also a link ( in the Information materials page on this site) to a leaflet about CMML produced by Leukemia and Lymphoma UK. He is at THE Centre of Excellence for MDS at King's under the experienced care of Prof Mufti and his team so I hope you can take a lot of comfort from that.

Keep a look out for the MDS meetings at King's as I feel sure you and your family would get comfort from attending.

I presume your father-in-law is attending as an outpatient? Is he having any treatment yet?

Please keep in contact as I really do think that talking/writng about it helps us deal with all the unknowns.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “CMML”