Holiday Insurance

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Holiday Insurance

Post by red » 23 Jun 2013 17:41

Hi everyone. Any advise on obtaining holiday insurance for MDS sufferers. I'm hoping to go to Crete for a week in September. AS I'm newly diagnosed with MDS and on watch and see.
red

life is for living!
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
chris

Re: Holiday Insurance

Post by chris » 23 Jun 2013 22:55

Hi Red

Check out the travel insurance topics as in link below for experiences of MDS patients.

http://mdspatientsupport.org.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=18

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Freddy

Post by Freddy » 24 Jun 2013 17:10

Hi Red,

Try "Good To Go" on the net.

I got a reasonable price for 3 weeks in Hong Kong in May this year for my wife an I, who has CMML 1 and is classed as MDS on their application form.

My wife's counts were well within the tolerances on the forms, but just to make sure we had them checked 2 days before we flew.

They were Hb 10.9, WB 10.2 and platlets 68.... controlled with Hydroxyurea.

Both her medical teams locally and in London agreed she was fit enough to go, which we had in writing if the Insurance Company needed any proof.

Thankfully we did not have to claim so I am unable to comment on that side of things.

Hope that's some help.

Regards, Freddy.
red

Post by red » 25 Jun 2013 10:59

Thanks Chris and Freddy,

So far I've been quoted for 1 week in Crete.
From Good to go:
Standard ins: £161.82 just for repatriation £500 excess
Gold £200.84 Repatriation and insurance on holiday £75 excess
Platinum: £257.61 no excess repatriation and med cover. no excess.

Freedom Ins £156.44 Repatriation included. £75 excess

Able to Travel are getting back to me

I do have other medical problems which bump up my holiday insurance quotes not just MDS.
red

Life is for living!

ps. Just had a quote from All Clear Ins. Gold plus: covers repatriation and all other items you would expect from holiday insurance £164.47 I am travelling with a non family member who has his own insurance and for an extra £15 it will cover him to come back with me if I have to be repatriated.
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”