Holiday Insurance

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

steveungi

Holiday Insurance

Post by steveungi » 08 Jan 2013 18:53

Hi,

Can you provide any good up todate contacts for holiday insurance for Europe (hot countries like Cyprus) and we wish to cruise the Eastern Med in September 2013. Sorry I have MDS and diagnosed in JUNE 2912, blood transfusion every 4 weeks.

Steve Ungi
chris

Re: Holiday Insurance

Post by chris » 09 Jan 2013 12:17

Hi Steve

See the later postings under the Travel Insurance topic heading. (Go to the final pages of the index as they are not posted with latest on top!). I went with Colombus quite cheaply for a short break in Europe in November but others have done well through Freedom. It's really a case of shopping around to get the one which best suits your own type and severity of MDS and what treatments you are having at the time. Because the disease is so diverse it's hard to recommend ...they all seem to be good for certain types - so let your fingers do the walking!!!

Let us know which one seemed best for you. Also see my post in that section around or just before September 2011 as I did a search of companies offering policies for people with pre-existing medical conditions and that seemd to work out OK for a week in France.

Good luck

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Sophie

Post by Sophie » 10 Jan 2013 13:17

Hi Steve,
as Chris says - post a message on here to let everyone know how you got on.
Insurers update their rules and regulations all the time.
You can also post the questions they asked you - as these also change regularly.
If you call 2-3 and still struggle - please call us at our main office on 0207 733 7558 - as we are putting together a report for the Ombudsman.
Thanks - and hope you have a great holiday.
Sophie - Patient Liaison
Queries:
Call 0207 733 7558
Email info@mdspatientsupport.org.uk

Please do not send me PM messages on this forum - I do not check it often.
This forum is purely for patient to patient communications. Thanks for your help.
steveungi

Post by steveungi » 10 Jan 2013 18:25

Hi,

Thannk you all but I have tried so many companies today with near 100% failure; Age Concern - No, Age UK -= No, World First - No, PJ Hayman - No, Columbus Direct - No, Meercats - No. As soon as I say that my Hb is less than 10.0 (9.9) and my white blood cells are less that 4 - THE COMPUTER SAYS NNNNoooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooo.

What is wrong with these companies I have MDS and not the BLACK DEATH.

Oh, 1 company would take me on for £794.56 for a week in Spain - are they really JOKING.

It is ridiculous, I am 66, 30 years in the Army, 17 years in teaching, 6 foot in height and 86 kgs in weight, I have never smoked and rearly drink - and STILL NO INSURANCE.

A really fed up Steve Ungi
chris

Post by chris » 10 Jan 2013 23:04

Hi Steve

Know just how you feel!! (See my posts when I was getting just as fed up!). When you feel up to it , try World First, Freedom and Insurance With - all 3 quoted as being OK in the posts in the travel insurance section. Sometimes - after Computer says Noooooooooooo - you get a number to call somebody and sometimes they can sort it out but I agree your quote was just ridiculous!!

It is so frustrating when you have led a blameless life up until this diagnosis and are still penalised!! Let Sophie know as she will pursue this through the Insurance Ombudsman on our behalf!! It's lack of knowledge about the diversity of the disease which causes the issues here I think.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Good luck

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 12 Jan 2013 12:09

Just a thought
i am blood transfusion dependent and know all about low bloods :( when i have needed insurance for holidays i am always asked if i am to be transfused before i go answer is always yes and i give them the date of the transfusion this seems to please either the computer or the person on the other end of the phone :) my last holiday was in the U.S.A and it cost me £97 in total which was cheaper than the previous 2 years ....
do you have transfusions ?????
Take Care Janet

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”