Travel insurance

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Re: Travel insurance

Post by chris » 17 Nov 2014 14:05

Hi Glyn

Yes, that gap when nobody actually knows what is wrong sounds a bit of an issue - you cannot even select the disease category which the insurance companies use to calculate risk!!

One thing you can be sure of is that most companies will make it pretty hard for you to claim! Cynical I know but I think they are making a mint out of upping policy costs when in most cases it will not result in cancellation or other claims!

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
projectworker

Post by projectworker » 26 Nov 2014 15:34

Dear All,

On behalf of one of our Forum users briang, we're posting his comment regarding travel insurance:

"Re travel insurance. I was able to get a cover with Saga for an 11 day holiday including a cruise to Italy, Greece & Turkey at a cost of £581.81 which also included my partner. This was between 27th October to 7th November 2014. She doesn't have any medical problems though does take statins."

Hope you'll find this helpful.
Warmest regards,

Monika
MDS UK Project Worker
Monika Janosik, MDS UK Project Worker
projectworker

Post by projectworker » 10 Aug 2015 12:13

Details of another recommended Travel Insurance company below. Please read a message posted by one of our members on MDS UK Community Facebook page:

"Having just seen the post on travel insurance the next post I received was regarding travel insurance from an old acquaintance. Thought I would share this, I have been trying to get travel insurance for a holiday/wedding I am going to in Santorini in August. Because I have had cancer I knew it would be difficult, anyway I have tried at least half a dozen insurance companies and the prices were staggering ranging from £2,500 (this is for a single 10 trip) £782, £590, etc etc, the lowest I got was £384. I was so annoyed as I have been clear for over two years and even when they insure you it excludes any pre existing conditions, then a lady I work with did a bit of research and came up with a company called insurancewith, (all one word), I put in all my details yet again and it came back with an unbelievable £22.84!!!!!! Well not believing my eyes I got someone to check it all, then I rang the company and a lady went through it all with me and said that the price was just that. Please pass this on to anyone who has had a serious illness it is brilliant, their phone number is 0845 8 687 234 and the website is www.insurancewith.com/
Thought I would share this as we need all the help we can get - especially on money saving. Until now we have used 'paying too much' to find reasonable cover for Bev with his multiple problems and those going with him. Next time I will try this site."

Best wishes,
projectworker

Post by projectworker » 08 Sep 2015 13:25

Details of another insurance company for potential holidaymakers:

MIA - Making Insurance Accessible

ESSEX OFFICE
Unit 2 Imperial Park. Rawreth Lane, Rayleigh, Essex, SS6 9RS
Sales: 0800 999 3333 - 01268 783383
info@miaonline.co.uk

SUFFOLK OFFICE
Pod 'C, Stonham Barns, Pettaugh Lane, Stonham Aspal, Suffolk, IP14 6AT
Tel: 01449 710040
suffolk@miaonline.co.uk

I hope that's helpful.
Best wishes,
MargaretAnn

Post by MargaretAnn » 30 Oct 2015 13:38

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced travel insurance company
chris

Post by chris » 03 Nov 2015 14:29

Hi Margaret

I can only suggest you have a good scroll through all the posts under this topic. Quite a few recommended! Personallu have found Colombus Direct very good but it all depends on type of MDS and blood counts and treatment needed.

Good luck

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
JoannaM

Post by JoannaM » 27 May 2016 17:17

Has anyone been having difficulty re insuring with their travel insurer? Last year I was with Columbus who have now declined to cover MDS. Many other companies will only cover me for a week at a time, with varying prices! Are there any recommendations please ? Most companies turn me down when the White Cell count has to be stated!
ClaudiaRichards

Post by ClaudiaRichards » 06 Jun 2016 17:16

Hi Joanna

I have found obtaining reasonably-priced travel insurance a troublesome task since my MDS diagnosis in 2009. I wish I had made a note of the names of the various insurance companies and their costs, but over the years I have definitely had policies with Saga, Columbus and World First. There was one year where I was able to obtain an annual policy (yippee!), but when it came to renewal they wouldn't cover me at all! I think their underwriters had changed and therefore MDS was something the new company didn't want to deal with.

There seems to be little rhyme or reason - some people with MDS can obtain a policy with a certain insurer for a reasonable amount, others can't. All you can do is ring round/get screened online by a number of different companies (I usually go for 4) and go for the best deal. If you look back through this thread at recent posts, you will find a number of useful posts from Sophie or "Project Worker" (Monika) which list companies through which other MDS patients have obtained cover.

Best wishes
Claudia
JoannaM

Post by JoannaM » 07 Jun 2016 13:33

Hi Claudia,
Thanks for all the information. Like you I have phoned so many companies & can only get a single trip policy, sometimes at ridiculous prices. We have now decided to change banks & have got insurance through them at last. Obviously I have to let them know if anything changes & presumably the cost will then rise! One company we tried was "Eurotunnel" which was recommended by a Cancer charity. They don't ask any medical questions but you must be travelling with your Consultant's permission. Definitely might be worth a try for someone having difficulty.

Columbus who insured me last year have declined this year as the company policy has changed for MDS. There is an immediate refusal when asked for your White cell count (if below 4)!
Best wishes
Joanna
chris

Post by chris » 27 Jun 2016 21:15

Hi Joanna
That's really disappointing news about Columbus Direct as I have always used them and found them quite reasonable and the "below 4 white cell count" question was not asked - or if it was, it didn't seem to affect the quotes. I certainly have never been refused by them!

Not planning on going abroad for a while but will let you all know what happens if I try them next time!

Best wishes to all

Chris

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”