Bone marrow transplant and living alone.

Post here for any general stem cell transplant related issues

Moderator: Steering Committee

northernone

Bone marrow transplant and living alone.

Post by northernone » 02 Jul 2013 22:27

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of having a BMT for MDS whilst living alone? My dad lives alone and needs to have a BMT. I live 250 miles away and my sister has two children so we are wondering how we go about aftercare when he is out of hospital. It may be a while off yet and of course we will be doing all that we can and I will be up as much
As humanly possible but as he has no one living with him full time I wondered if anyone could offer any advice?
Thank you in advance.
brianb

Re: Bone marrow transplant and living alone.

Post by brianb » 06 Jul 2013 20:26

Hi,

From my experience it is better to have someone at home. For company, and to have someone their for you, Following a BMT you can be very weak, and there is the risk of Graft versus Host Disease, first signs are a rash, and the back needs to be checked at least twice a day.

Check with the support nurse, they may have a solution.
Brian - M, 40yrs. Diagnosed with AML secondary to MDS Jan 2012. Received Unrelated Stem Cell Transplant June 2012. Now looking at returning to work.
melionen

Post by melionen » 07 Jul 2013 23:08

Hi even though I was on my own before during and after. I wouldn't recommend it, it was horrible and I was suicidal.
you feel very tired, weak and isolated. not good when your body chemistry is all to shot. I was 40 when I had my (mud bmt) I was fit and active before. when you wake up and have a shower you feel as though your dyeing. the chemo is awful I had fludarabin and campath. for 7 days and then my transplant. you really need someone there with him.

Martin.
northernone

Post by northernone » 25 Jul 2013 21:48

Thank you for your advice. No one tells you about this stuff!

Return to “Stem Cell Transplants: General”