Information required about BMT

Post here for any general stem cell transplant related issues

Moderator: Steering Committee

Jayne

Re: Information required about BMT

Post by Jayne » 22 Jul 2011 11:30

I am sooooooooo sorry I have been not posting for a while, just been very busy.

Lucy I have read your blog, I thought it was fantastic and inspirational. It is wonderful that you are feeling as great as you do.

I was at St James on Wednesday and I am being referred to the transplant team, only so that we can start the search for a donor.

I dont anticipate having a transplant for a long time yet. I feel fantastic! My red cells have increased to 93 (from 86), I was well chuffed.

My Professor did advise against reading peoples blogs, but I told him I would continue too as I think they are a good source of reality! So far, the four that I have read have all had a good outcome!

xxx
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.
chris

Post by chris » 28 Jul 2011 22:16

Hi Jayne

Just to say it's so good to hear that you are feeling well. Long may it continue. I guess you'll feel reassured when you know the search for a donor is underway? I read something on the net about blood banks and the huge success in Germany of getting so many people to volunteer to donate stem cells. Not sure how they do it but it is an amazing achievement.Their donor bank is many times bigger than the Anthony Nolan Register so chances are good that your donor will come from Germany! Perhaps if you do have a transplant, you will find yourself inexplicably wanting to be first to the sunbeds when you are next in Turkey on holiday!!

Keep well

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Jayne

Post by Jayne » 01 Aug 2011 12:09

Hi Chris - thanks for the reply, I hope this message finds you feeling well also!

Yes, I have heard that Germany has a really good bone marrow bank.

I subscribe to Woman and Home, and in this months edition there is a plea for bone marrow donors. There is also an article on different types of bloods tests and what could be the potential illness (no mention of MDS surprisingly!!) - althouth the article and the plea are not together or linked. I did mean to bring the magazine to work and contact the editor because she said if any readers did sign up to the register and were then called to donate she would be interested in their story. So I thought I might approach it from the other angle of somebody who will one day require a donation!

Anyway, I still feel good but a bit more tired today, my 13 year old daughter and I shopped til we dropped on Saturday and then Sunday I had to go back into York to return a few items (all for my son, cant believe how much he has grown) and then did a teeny bit more shopping, lol. Anyway, I am totally ready for my holidays and feel really happy with all my purchases.

Lets hope we all have a good week.
Jayne x
Jayne
Feb 2011 MDS RCMD. Jan 2012 RAEB.
Feb 2012 - 2 lots of chemo each 4-6 weeks in hospital to destroy leukaemic cells resulting in remission from AML.
July 6 2012 - Stem cell transplant
Doing very well, feel great
Age 43.

Return to “Stem Cell Transplants: General”