Hello! Husband newly diagnosed.

Support, information and resources for family, friends and carers of those with MDS

Moderator: Steering Committee

SDWA13

Hello! Husband newly diagnosed.

Post by SDWA13 » 26 Oct 2021 21:31

Hello everyone.
My husband has just been diagnosed with High Risk MDS, although we're still waiting for the cytogenetics results to come back for more accurate diagnosis. He starts chemo next week.
Just looking for any tips/ info for what to expect and just to connect with others who are travelling this same road.
Sue
chris

Re: Hello! Husband newly diagnosed.

Post by chris » 21 Nov 2021 22:54

Hello Sue. Sorry for late reply. I forget to check in. I think there’s a way I can get alerts to new messages but haven’t figured out how to do it!
Very sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis. It must have come as a shock. I am presuming that one of you has joined MDS UK as a member so will have received our useful MDS patient handbook? And also a monthly e-newsletter which gives details of patient support meetings?Alrhough these meetings are broadly targeted at different areas of the country, anybody can register for any of the meetings. If you are not sure about using Zoom, our Office Manager, Caroline,can support you. If you “come along”, you will meet many people who have experienced what you and your husband are going through and draw comfort from sharing their experiences.

I hope by now your husband has received all his cytogenic results so that your doctor can help to advise the best treatment.If you have any concerns please contact Sophie Wintrich who has lots of information she can give you.

Hope you see this response

Best wishes
Chris

As
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
SDWA13

Post by SDWA13 » 24 Nov 2021 09:43

Hi Chris,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I've joined MDS UK, which has been useful.

We get the results of the cytogenetic tests in 2 weeks at his next appointment. (I hope!) Hopefully we will then have an accurate diagnosis and IPSS-R score. We already know it is High Risk and are hoping that the cytogenetics don't tip it into Very High. 🤞

Thank you for the helpful info and contact names.

Sue 🙂
chris

Post by chris » 24 Nov 2021 16:25

Hi Sue

Oh the waiting is so difficult! I well remember waiting for mine and just could not focus on anything else!

Let’s hope for good news. Do let us know. How are you both coping? It’s such a lot to take in. We’ve all been there and you have our sympathy.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”