Yellow Fever

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

christina

Yellow Fever

Post by christina » 30 Oct 2015 17:45

Has anyone who has MDS ever had a yellow fever jab or heard about it for travelling overseas, have spoken to Geke who will ask my consultant. Christina
chris

Re: Yellow Fever

Post by chris » 01 Nov 2015 20:46

Hi Christina

Haven't had the jab myself but my 33 year-old healthy daughter had to have it before a trip to Peru and I have to say she was very unwell for several weeks afterwards. Nausea, fatigue, temperatures, headaches and dizziness I seem to recall and she took time off work which is pretty unheard of for her!! As the trip was her honeymoon it was also a bit worrying as it only just improved in time for her wedding!!!

You need to find out if it's compulsory in order to travel to the particular country you are visiting or merely advisory and you can then decide, along with medical advice, whether to go ahead.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
murrayfs

Post by murrayfs » 11 Nov 2015 22:34

Hi Christina, my company wanted to send me abroad a few years ago to Ghana I think and they said all I would need was a yellow fever vaccine. When I investigated this with my GP they said it was a "live" vaccine and wouldn't advise anyone with a low immune system having this. I'm not sure if that is still the case now, as this was a few years ago, but it certainly got me out of the trip. Also when you are looking at recommended vaccines etc, this is on the assumption for a fit healthy person. My Consultant advised that I would need a lot of other vaccines on top of the recommended ones as a precaution, so definitely essential to get the correct medical professional advice for you personally based on your MDS type and current health situation.

regards
Fiona
Fiona - Female, age 56, diagnosed in 1999 with MDS 5q-. (TP53 also) I had a stem cell transplant in 2020
christina

Post by christina » 15 Nov 2015 13:55

Sorry this is a late thank you re yellow fever, have had problems logging in. Took all you said on board and decided its not for me, also insurance very high and thats if you can get it. As a few of you know we usually visit daughters in New Zealand and feel very safe there as hospital in Hamilton has a reciprocal arrangement, but insurance takes a lot of investigating especially if you want to do something different like a cruise etc. But happy to have that problem at the moment as medication keeps me having the energy to hopefully have a holiday, got to do it while you can. Thanks again for your replies hopefully now I am logged in I will be able to join in a bit instead of just having to read all your comments, good health to all Christina

Return to “General Chat”