Dad's platelets low and in hospital

Please post here your experiences of MDS as a patient, carer, family or friend

Moderator: Steering Committee

caroline74

Dad's platelets low and in hospital

Post by caroline74 » 03 May 2013 21:06

Dad was due to start his second cycle on Monday but his platelets had dropped from 70 on the 10th April to 22. His haemotologist was on leave but the consultant decided to postpone the chemo. My mum asked if he should have a platelet transfusion but neither the staff on the chaemo ward or the consultant didn't think it was neccessary.

Last night my dad got a nosebleed which didn't stop and at 3am. He got taken to his local hospital where he gets treatment at Maidstone first but then for some reason they took him to Pembury, I think because it has an ear nose and throat department???? Surely it would have been best for him to have stayed at Maidstone, as the nosebleed is a symptom of having the low platelets???? Once he got to Pembury they packed up his nose and then gave him Codeine injections, which he had a severe reaction to.

His platelets had dropped to 12 in 4 days. They have given him a platelet transfusion today and think he will have to have another one tomorrow. He has a temperature (we think from the transfusion) so is also on antibiotics. They think he will need to stay in at least another day.

Really, really worried about my dad. I am not sure what can be given to improve his platelet counts. I know sometimes they do drop as a result of the Azacitidine but would they drop this much?

Going back down to see them tomorrow and hoping things improve over the weekend
chris

Re: Dad's platelets low and in hospital

Post by chris » 14 May 2013 12:03

Hi Caroline

Sorry for delay in reply - been on holiday!

Sorry to hear about your dad and his low platelet counts. I think that this happens with Azacitidine - counts get worse before they improve. Hope you got some information when you visited? There isn't really any treatment to improve platelet counts -especially if caused by other treatments - just remedial transfusions if there is a problem and they don't seem to like to give too many transfusions either - in any event I don't think they last long.

How are things now? Hope there has been some improvement - it must be very worrying for you all.

Take care

Chris
Chris. (F) Age 69 (2019). MDS diagnosed in 2008. Sub-type CMML-1 but with anomalies! Normal-ish red cells, low white cells and platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. No current treatment - active monitoring 3-
monthly.SE Essex
caroline74

Re: Dad's platelets low and in hospital

Post by caroline74 » 16 May 2013 20:36

Thank you Chris, it has been very worrying for us but today Dad has been discharged after 14 days in hospital.

They gave him every antibiotic they could but it was only when they gave him Vancomycin (which I have read is considered 'last resort' Antibiotic) antifungals and antivirals that his temperature finally came down. He is still very weak and sleeping alot but we are hoping he is finally on the mend.

He has an appointment with his haemotologist on Monday which I really want to go to but my parents are insisting I dont because they worry about me travelling so far to see them. I may just go down anyway as I want to know what the future plans are for Dad and his treatment.

Dad seemed to be doing okay after his chemo, then suddenly the platelets and WBCs dropped. As you mentioned, I know this can happen with Azacitidine and have read that they can look to reduce his dose or the length of his next treatment to try and stop this happening again. But I am really worried that the reason they dropped is because his blasts have increased and wondering whether he should have another bone marrow biopsy to test for this?