Thyroid and MDS

Please post here your experiences of MDS as a patient, carer, family or friend

Moderator: Steering Committee

Tommie

Thyroid and MDS

Post by Tommie » 24 Apr 2013 11:29

I have not used the forum for a while, but have a question and want to know if any of you can help?
Have any of you with MDS also got an under active thyriod?
Look forward to hearing from anyone. :?:
brianb

Re: Thyroid and MDS

Post by brianb » 24 Apr 2013 15:17

Hi Tommie,

I was diagnosed with MDS in Jan 2012 and had an unrelated Stem Cell transplant in June 2012, everything has been going to plan. Apart from in the past couple of months I have been feeling terrible, following a few tests I have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid. I was initially started on 50mg of Levothyroxine, I am now taking 75mg and will be monitored etc. I have been feeling a lot better following taking the Levothyroxine.

Apparently an under active thyroid is quite common in transplant patients, but I am unsure about MDS sufferers.

Best wishes

Brian
Brian - M, 40yrs. Diagnosed with AML secondary to MDS Jan 2012. Received Unrelated Stem Cell Transplant June 2012. Now looking at returning to work.
punda milia

Post by punda milia » 24 Apr 2013 17:30

Hi Tommie and Brian

I was diagnosed with MDS in June 2012 after several years when my blood counts were indicating a problem. In 2002 I was treated with Chlorambucil for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. After the first treatment I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and have been taking 200 mcg of thyroxine daily for the last 8 years or so. I definitely think that the thyroxine keeps me going!

With best wishes

Diana
66 year female. Diagnosed with mds 2012. In 2002 treated for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma with chlorambucil. Have enlarged macrocytes, low neutrophils & low white cells. Also have Trisomy 8 & classified Intermediate 1. Now on watch & wait
JeanetteP

Post by JeanetteP » 24 Apr 2013 17:51

Hi Tommie,

My Dad was first diagnosed with a borderline thyroid condition while he was being tested for MDS Now he is being treated for an under active thyroid.

Best Wishes

Jeanette
Tommie

Post by Tommie » 28 Apr 2013 22:09

Thank you all for your replies. I am just waiting for another blood test for thyroid function. I personally think the overwhelming tiredness I get when my HBC levels are fairly good is down to my thyroid.
I appreciate your replies and wish you all well.