Blood counts dropped

Please post here your experiences of MDS as a patient, carer, family or friend

Moderator: Steering Committee

david j

Blood counts dropped

Post by david j » 31 Jul 2012 22:43

Hi Everyone

I had my latest check-up today at my local hospital.My blood counts have dropped since my last appointment,which was at King's College six weeks ago.Neutrophils are 0.9 (down from 1.6),Platelets 84 (down from 98),white blood count 2.1 (down from 2.7) and for the first time,Haemoglobin is slightly low at 12.9 (down from 13.7) which was in the normal range for a male.

However,my haematologist is not yet too concerned as he said they have not fallen dramatically.He did a physical examination and could not feel my spleen which indicates that there is no further enlargement.

I must say I am a bit worried myself though as my haemoglobin has never been below the normal range before and I am worried that it may be on a downward trend.I still feel well in myself and have not had any infections so I suppose that is good news?

David
David,Age 55,MDS RCMD 2% blasts,IPSS Score 2,normal chromosomes,normal cytogenics.Diagnosed March 2012,normal Red Cells, low White Cells & Platelets,Slightly Enlarged Spleen.No current treatment,active 4-monthly monitoring.Brighton,E.Sussex.
chris

Re: Blood counts dropped

Post by chris » 01 Aug 2012 18:56

Hi David

Try not to worry too much about this latest set of results. Easier said than done I know but there could be lots of reasons for changes. For one thing, there may be discrepancies between results from your local hospital's path lab and King's. If you keep a record of your results, take a look and see if they are generally different i.e. are you local hospital's always lower, or if they are consistently similar. The counts are done automatically. See other posts on this site which explains all about how they are done. The other thing to remember is, a bit like the interest rates adverts, counts may go up as well as down!! Have you had any infections recently as counts can fall after an initial rise while the infection is present? I keep my results on a graph ( I use Excel and plot results and trendlines) but then I am a bit of a geek in that respect. It does help me to see trends over periods of time and there are times when they go up and times when they go down!! Has your diet or lifestyle been different since your last test?

It's interesting that everything is lower and reassuring that your haematologist is not too concerned. Also, you are feeling well and healthy and that is more of an indication than the numbers. How long will you have to wait until your next test?

Hope you are able to put it out of your mind for a while.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris. (F) Age 69 (2019). MDS diagnosed in 2008. Sub-type CMML-1 but with anomalies! Normal-ish red cells, low white cells and platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. No current treatment - active monitoring 3-
monthly.SE Essex
david j

Post by david j » 01 Aug 2012 22:13

Thanks Chris

I suppose I am getting a bit over concerned.I know results can vary from different labs.They so far have always read slightly higher at King's than what they do at my local hospital in Brighton.My next check up is at King's in the third week of September.I expect they will then be slightly higher! I currently go to King's every 3 months and Brighton like to see me in between.So basically it's checked every 6 weeks.

My neutrophils did go down to 0.8 once last November but I had had a tooth abscess at the time and when it had cleared,they recovered again to 1.3 . I have had no recent infections and have not changed my diet so i suspect it's just a blip.

Feeling less worried now and will carry on as normal.

Take Care

David
David,Age 55,MDS RCMD 2% blasts,IPSS Score 2,normal chromosomes,normal cytogenics.Diagnosed March 2012,normal Red Cells, low White Cells & Platelets,Slightly Enlarged Spleen.No current treatment,active 4-monthly monitoring.Brighton,E.Sussex.
chris

Post by chris » 03 Aug 2012 15:37

HI David

That's really interesting about the difference you have noticed between the 2 hospital's results. At least next time they go down at Brighton you will have the reasonable expectation that they will go up again at King's!!! I'm sure they will and it was just a blip. You would think there would be consistency as most hospitals would use similar analysers but clearly not - unless your counts are in 6 week cycles which would be too much of a coincidence!!

I have had a similar experience this week, funnily enough. Went to the GP last Friday as I thought I had another bout of cellulitis starting and was advised to get a prescription for antibiotics - just in case it kicked off over the weekend. The GP noticed from my record that my Prof had asked GP to arrange for an interim blood test as my neuts had been down to 0.46. However, this had clearly been missed as was now 2 weeks after the date the Prof had wanted it done! (So if I hadn't happened to go in for cellulitis - and I rarely do go to the GP - it would not even have been picked up!!!). So the GP decided he would do the blood test then and there! I thought that was a bit daft as it would hardly be representative, given the cellulitis infection. So, got my results today and , guess what, all the white counts were up - because I had a bacterial infection at the time the test was taken which drives them up initially!!! So have asked for another blood test form and will get it done once I make sure that the infection has completely cleared!!! Ho hum!! These things are sent to try us! Stil at least my haemoglobin was up a bit!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris. (F) Age 69 (2019). MDS diagnosed in 2008. Sub-type CMML-1 but with anomalies! Normal-ish red cells, low white cells and platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. No current treatment - active monitoring 3-
monthly.SE Essex
lizzylouise

Post by lizzylouise » 20 Feb 2013 13:39

Hi there, my counts are very similar to yours - the 0.9 neutrophils spot on. Do you feel ill with it? I certainly do and I have a clear correlation between feeling fatigued, outbreaks of coldsores etc. when my counts drop. To me it is the counts are the easiest way for me to understand my condition, if they drop I'm dipping, if the rise, I'm doing better. It is like a blinking rollercoaster though not knowing how you are going to be one day to the next.
clareybabs

Post by clareybabs » 21 Feb 2013 01:13

hi david, you do get obsessed with what your blood results are, because your life is engulfed with blood tests, i know mine is. i write my results down each time i get blood taken, which is 2 wkly now, They do tend to go up and down all the time - don't worry too much about your HB at the moment - if it drops below 10. they would probably think about transfusing. My HB - never seems to go above 9.5, lowest result being 4.0, which was before i knew anything was wrong with me. At the moment my HB is 7.5, just been transfused with 2 units, wcc 2.0, neutrophils 0.3 and platelets 25, amazingly i feel okay, apart from breathlessness and tiredness, also have developed boil like spots, getting treat for MRSA - which is why wcc and neutrophils are low. Just remember if these counts are low/high they are trying to fight something off - if you start feeling more short of breath/lethargic/cold/shivery - with no temp - / chest pain/ fast pulse rate - you are anaemic and will need blood x Hope this helps x
CLAIRE - 42YRS - DIAGNOSED WITH MDS (RAEB) - POOR CYTOGENETICS WITH MONOSOMY 7 AND AN EXTRA X CHROMOSOME - getting supportive care at moment - weekly blood tests and regular top ups with blood, awaiting a bone marrow transplant
david j

Post by david j » 21 Feb 2013 20:50

Hi Lizzy & Claire

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your MDS diagnosis's.Thank you for your replies to my post.

Fortunately,since my post last August,my counts have returned to what they usually are.Neutrophils 1.2 to 1.6,Platelets around 110-115 and Haemaglobin back in the normal range at 14.8 at my last check a month ago.I think the lower counts were just a blip for the time being as they have been stable around this range for a number of years now.

I am fortunate enough to feel well and be virtually symptom free at the moment and get very few infections,so it was a shock to get my diagnosis last March even though i had been monitored for 12 years for low white cells and platelets.I do get tired after a hard day at work but i think that is just normal tiredness as my Haemaglobin is not affected.

Lizzy : Sorry to hear you are suffering from cold sores and hope they are sorted soon.

Claire : Sorry to hear about you MRSA.Hope they get that sorted soon too.

The best thing to do is to try and remain positive.I know that is easier said than done as I have my moments too.

Take Care

David Jacobs