MDS and the elderly

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Sarahgladys1

MDS and the elderly

Post by Sarahgladys1 » 06 Nov 2014 16:19

My father is 91 and has recently been diagnosed with MDS. His doctor rang me and told me that she would try and get him an emergency appointment at a blood clinic. She doubted they would treat him due to his age. She also said he would deteriorate quite quickly and that I should prepare myself. I am his only family and so is he mine. I can deal with most things as long as I know the facts and what I have to face. I feel as though I am floundering around at the moment and wondered whether anyone could give me any advice.
ClaudiaRichards

Re: MDS and the elderly

Post by ClaudiaRichards » 07 Nov 2014 12:15

Welcome to the Forum, Sarah. I must say first of all, it seems rather premature for your father's doctor to adopt this attitude when your father hasn't even seen a haematologist, let alone an expert in the field.

From personal experience at the haematology and cancer unit at my district hospital, I know that there are often people in their 80s and 90s receiving supportive care and - for all I know - treatment for a range of conditions.

The MDS UK Support Group has only recently issued a document "Call to Action" (which you can read about on the News section of the website) which deals with the specific issue of elderly patients and their access to care/treatment. So, don't let the GP's assumptions deter you from seeking the best possible outcome for your father and if you need further advice, don't hesitate to contact Sophie, the MDS UK Patient Liaison, who is a fount of all knowledge on everything to do with MDS.

I hope the referral to the haematology clinic comes through quickly and that you can access more expert advice and opinion.

Take care,
Claudia
Sarahgladys1

Post by Sarahgladys1 » 07 Nov 2014 15:23

Thank u for your reply. It's kind of you to take the time. I found my father dead this morning.
chris

Post by chris » 12 Nov 2014 13:57

Dear Sarah

So very sorry to hear about your Dad and that you were so lacking in information about his condition and treatment possibilities. It must be very hard for you coping all alone with this so do try to get as much support for yourself as you can.

We all wish you well and send our condolences.

best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “General Chat”