Coping with psychological effects of MDS

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Coping with psychological effects of MDS

Post by chris » 08 Nov 2013 16:34

Dear All

This is a subject close to my heart as I am pretty sure we can all recall the mental and emotional shock on being diagnosed with MDS. Not just MDS patients but their loved ones,too. But it doesn't stop there. If it is a chronic form it just hangs over you and you never quite know when and if it is going to "kick off". Finding a way to cope long-term is quite a challenge and I am always looking for sources of information and support.

I get alerts for webcasts from the AAMDSIF and there is one coming up tomorrow which looks interesting. It's on at 6.45 pm GMT and you can register online.This is how the event is advertised:

"Feeling overwhelmed or exhausted by the living with such a serious illness? Ever wonder, “How will I get through this?”
The answer lies in building resilience - your capacity to persevere and prevail. Sign up now to join the live broadcast. You'll be able to ask questions just as if you were sitting in the room! Learn mental, emotional, physical, social, spiritual, and family resilience-building strategies to sustain your health and help you cope with the challenges of bone marrow failure.
"

Here's the link to sign up:
https://live.blueskybroadcast.com/bsb/c ... 9&CAT=6849

Hope it helps. Let me know how it goes as I have to be out singing Carmina Burana - another coping strategy!!!

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “General Chat”