Great job + suggestions

Any ideas, thoughts, contributions for inclusion on the website

Moderator: Steering Committee

sophie

Great job + suggestions

Postby sophie » 20 Nov 2008 14:29

The discussion forum is great Nick.:d/It is simple enough I think that even those who are not so internet savvy will be able to get used to it.

One thing to watch out for is spammers.
It will require someone monitoring the messages left, or asking users to report spam messages so that their membership can be deleted and blocked.
The MDS Foundation has a similar message forum and it did become a problem a while ago.

A disclaimer would also be good to say that the message board is not monitored for clinical accuracy, as people might leave messages with inaccurate details.

A further Forum discussion subject could be "Additional links" that users would suggest.

In any case - well done - will be very useful to exchange contacts and experiences =d>

I'll keep posting if I have another brain wave :-k
sophie
Sophie - Patient Liaison
For any queries:
Call 0207 733 7558
Email mds-uk@mds-foundation.org

Please do not send me PM messages on this forum - I do not check it often.
This forum is purely for patient to patient communications. Thanks for your help.
MDSAdmin

Re: Great job + suggestions

Postby MDSAdmin » 20 Nov 2008 15:22

Thanks Sophie
The admin function allows me to block specific users and to require topics to be moderated (i.e. reviewed by someone before being published).

Hoping later to get some volunteers involved in the admin / moderation if we go ahead with this.

Other points noted and will incorporate as we go forward.

Like the idea of a 'Additional Links' topic ... but I'll leave that for someone else to add (just to prove it can be done!)..

best
Nigelo:)

MDSAdmin

Postby MDSAdmin » 20 Nov 2008 15:22

Thanks Sophie
The admin function allows me to block specific users and to require topics to be moderated (i.e. reviewed by someone before being published).

Hoping later to get some volunteers involved in the admin / moderation if we go ahead with this.

Other points noted and will incorporate as we go forward.

Like the idea of a 'Additional Links' topic ... but I'll leave that for someone else to add (just to prove it can be done!)..

best
Nigelo:)

Yak

Postby Yak » 26 Nov 2008 23:46

The discussion forum looks in very good order to me. I like the fact that I can see the last 10 posts in posting this response - it's something I haven't seen in many other forums (unless of course you directly quote from another post).
Following on from Sophie's comment about Additional Links, is there any way that links arising in posts could be identified and collated automatically? One of the frustrations I have had with forums of this type is that as they grow, you're never sure whether you're picking up all of the threads that are of interest to you and the information that might arise from them - if links were collected within a cohesive thread it would be useful. I'm just not convinced that something arising within another thread would be cross-posted by the poster to an Additional Links thread.

Also, when you register for the website it might be useful if you could state the nature of your interest in MDS - eg patient, carer, health care professional etc and have this within your profile.

Are posts able to be edited by the poster? Having posted I can now see that is possible!

Moving away from the discussion forum (sorry if this post is a bit haphazard) it would be useful to have more links from the text on the 'What Is MDS?' page to give fuller explanations/details eg to explain the IPSS system, to give details on 'normal' red cell counts etc.

If I think of anything more in the next day or so I'll post accordingly.
MDSAdmin

Postby MDSAdmin » 27 Nov 2008 09:02

Thanks for the comments
The forum is an implementation of a freely available forum and it is probably beyond us to 'automatically' collect links from posts - what might make sense is to have a topic devoted to 'useful links' (I'll add one directly)- and then to manually collate from there to add to the main website.

To include a link on the main website, we really need some level of editorial review for accuracy - for example the Rex Birch pages are probably a little out of date and could do with a review before inclusion.
http://www.mds-rexbirch.webspace.virginmedia.com

Re: your 'what is mds' comment - really need some material for this ... wonder if we can use info directly from some of the various publications that are available (and do we need permission to do this).

By the way, did you see that you can be emailed when new posts are made (just select 'Watch this topic' from the 'Options' at the top right of the screen).

Return to “Ideas and thoughts on the website”