Loss of my wife to CMML

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Freddy

Loss of my wife to CMML

Post by Freddy » 05 Apr 2014 18:23

It is with much sadness I write to say my beautiful wife , whom Ive been with for 40 years, lost her brave battle with CMML in January 2014.

She went into hospital after becoming transfusion dependant to start chemotherapy prior to SCT as her brother was an exact match.

She developed complications during the treatment and spent some 40 days in ITC, fighting pneumonia and the effects of low blood counts, her immune system was not recovering and the prospect of the SCT slipped away.

She was treated very well by all the Doctors and Nurses at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton and I thank them all for everything they did for my wife.

She would have gone onto Kings in London for the SCT as she was under the expert attention of the Professors and I also thank them for everything they did for her.

My two daughters set about fund raising for Leaukimia Charities and to date have raised £2,800 to help beat blood cancers.

We as a family are devastated at our loss, but are so glad we had her with us for a number of years after diagnosis, which is down to the research and advancements in the treatments now available.

My advice to everyone is to remain positive throughout your experiences, we always did and strived to enjoy life to the full.

My best wishes are to you all for successful future treatments.

Freddy.
Russell

Re: Loss of my wife to CMML

Post by Russell » 07 Apr 2014 00:04

I'm so sorry to read your news Freddy. Condolences to you and all your family. When I hear news like this it makes me just that bit more determined to raise awareness and raise funds. What your family have done so far is terrific and I shall be thinking of you all next Sunday. I hope that something good can come out of this. Best wishes

Russell
Age 55
RCMD 2009 at age 49
1x MUD BMT 2010
1x MUD SCT 2010
1x Haplo Transplant 2010
4 Marathons
and
4 other Half Marathons, a 10 miler and a Spartan Race!
Freddy

Post by Freddy » 07 Apr 2014 18:18

Thank you Russell and best of luck for the London Marathon.

Like you, we as a family are determined to do all we can to help others in the future with more fund raising for vital research.

My wife was involved with the theatre and as a tribute they are organising a concert locally, with the ticket money being donated to Leaukimia Research.

She was well loved by all, so hopefully it will be a sell out ! A fitting way to remember her.

Freddy.
Sophie

Post by Sophie » 08 Apr 2014 16:26

Dear Freddy,
we are so sorry to hear about your loss.
Please accept our sincere condolences, to you and the family, on behalf of MDS UK.
Thank you also for the courage to share this very sad news on the forum.
I know many users will be reading your post, and even if they can't find the words to reply to you on the forum, they are with you in thought.

We can see you have been a very active contributor to the online forum for some time, obviously do feel free to stay a member, if you wish, and if you feel there is some benefit for you or for others.
Your experience of looking after your wife and loving care for her will certainly always be of assistance to others - but everyone will understand if you need to take some time away to grieve.

We are sure the concert you are planning will be a very wonderful tribute to your wife.
And we hope it is a fantastic success at raising funds for research and awareness of the disease.
We'd be more than happy to advertise the concert on our website - please just send me the details - and feel free to post them on the forum itself.

Warmest regards,
Sophie - Patient Liaison
Queries:
Call 0207 733 7558
Email info@mdspatientsupport.org.uk

Please do not send me PM messages on this forum - I do not check it often.
This forum is purely for patient to patient communications. Thanks for your help.
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 08 Apr 2014 21:59

Dear Freddy

I am sorry to hear of your wife's passing. This must have been especially hard when she was so close to having treatment.
Thank you for taking time to let us know at this difficult time.
Deepest sympathy
Molly
Xxxxx
69 yrs hubby - CMML 1 dx Feb 2013
raised Monocytes was watch and wait
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
Jan 14 blood OK back on w&w
Jan 19 disease advancement to CMML-F (fibrosis)
chris

Post by chris » 09 Apr 2014 12:43

Dear Freddy

I was so sorry to read of your wife's death due to complications of her pre SCT treatment. You must all have had such a sad and difficult time over those 40 days when she was in ITC. It is very hard for us with MDS to read of others dying. We know it may be on the cards for us and the horrible unpredictability of this disease is what makes it so hard to remain upbeat at times.A little bit of me loses hope each time I read such sad news. I strongly identify with your situation as I also have CMML (for 6 years this summer), my brother is an exact match for a SCT should I need (or want) one, I have been with my husband since 1968 so I can only imagine what you and your family must be going through and I hate the thought that I will probably one day put my own family through the same anguish.

It will take a long time but I hope that you will soon find life more tolerable without your wife and glad that you are doing something so thoughtful in her memory and to raise money for a good cause.

Take care

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “CMML”