Brother in Law has CMML

Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia (CMML) is a rare type of blood cancer. In CMML there are too many monocytes in the blood. Monocytes are a type of white blood cell.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Re: Brother in Law has CMML

Post by chris » 17 May 2012 11:24

Dear Joanne

Thank you for updating us, very thoughtful of you,and so sorry to hear that your brother-in-law's CMML had now progressed to AML. He sounds a lovely person and even though his understanding of the illness is not what it might be, he seems to be able to be cheerful on social occasions. Maybe in some ways, he is better off not knowing?! It must be so confusing for him when he has to undergo medical procedures. Given how devastating later stages of Alzheimers can be for the individual and family, it is hard to know what to wish for as an outcome to the AML treatment. I would like to hope that he remains out of pain and comfortable and that any treatment does not prove more bothersome to him than the illness itself.

Best wishes to you and your family at this difficult time.

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 17 May 2012 17:13

Hello
i am sorry to hear this news and i do agree with the sentiments in chris,s post
my best wishes to you all, do hope the chemo has a positive effect in slowing down the AML
good luck thinking of you all Janet
Annjeo

Post by Annjeo » 18 May 2012 16:37

Thank you both for your kind words.

Chris in one paragraph you have encapsulated our family's combined views, hopes and concerns. Our main hope now is that he he doesn't really understand what he is suffering from and that he remains pain and anxiety free.

Again many thanks
Brother-in-law (79 yrs) had CMML but now transformed into AML. Diagnosed CMML Jan 2010 dormant until Nov 2011, AML confirmed Apr 2012. Passed away on 26th May 2012
Annjeo

Post by Annjeo » 30 Jun 2012 01:30

Just a final update, my Brother-in-law passed away on the 26th May. He survived the AML for just 5 weeks before succumbing to the disease. No doubt his other complaints didn't help his system fight it, but the speed at which the AML took over surprised us.

My thanks for your earlier support

Best wishes
Joanne
Brother-in-law (79 yrs) had CMML but now transformed into AML. Diagnosed CMML Jan 2010 dormant until Nov 2011, AML confirmed Apr 2012. Passed away on 26th May 2012
chris

Post by chris » 03 Jul 2012 18:04

Dear Joanne

Thank you so much for letting us know. So very sorry to read about your brother-in-law. My sympathies are with you, your sister and family. You were a great support. Hopefully he did not suffer for too long. It's a horrid disease and, sadly, in many cases nothing can be done to halt it. Let's all just hope that on-going research will start to find some answers and solutions soon.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
janetstanford

Post by janetstanford » 04 Jul 2012 15:05

Joanne
So sorry to hear your sad news and my thoughts are with you and your family ,a few weeks is no time at all to come to terms with any Disease i do hope he did not suffer
and as Chris says some day a cure may be found
please take care of yourself and i am sure you will continue to be a support to your family through this sad time as you have recently
take care Janet

Return to “CMML”