Good travel insurance companies for MDS 2016-2017

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Sophie

Good travel insurance companies for MDS 2016-2017

Post by Sophie » 25 Jul 2016 16:17

GOOD travel insurers for MDS

To make it easier for others to find reasonable travel insurance - if you had a GOOD experience with a specific company - please add details below.
Keep it short - and remember that all cases are treated individually when it comes to pre-existing medical issues.

Insurance Company:
Destination:
Length of trip:
Type of MDS/WBC/Hb:
Cost:
Extra notes:
Sophie - Patient Liaison
Queries:
Call 0207 733 7558
Email info@mdspatientsupport.org.uk

Please do not send me PM messages on this forum - I do not check it often.
This forum is purely for patient to patient communications. Thanks for your help.
Kes

Re: Good travel insurance companies for MDS 2016-2017

Post by Kes » 25 Jul 2016 16:29

Insurance Company: Insurance With http://www.insurancewith.com/
Destination: Spain
Length of trip: 7 days
Type of MDS/WBC/Hb: MDS RCMD and other conditions
Cost: £108 - for 2 people
Date: July 2016

Extra notes:

I have just got a quote with Insurance With. I am going to Spain for a week with my partner. I have several conditions to declare including one that needs surgery. I am also due to have SCT. I have MDS RCMD. I was scared I wouldn't get insurance. This group are friendly and professional and medically knowledgeable. Their reviews are also excellent. The cost is £108 for both of us. I'm well pleased.
I was diagnosed initially with RA. Now I'm told it RCMD with hypocellular marrow. It seems I also have a big autoimmune component to my MDS with lots of accompanied joint pain[/color]
Keith

Post by Keith » 30 Aug 2016 16:11

Insurance Company - allcleartravel.co.uk
Destination - Europe Wide
Length of Trip - maximum duration of any one trip 45 days (up to age 70)
Type of MDS - RCMD (type not asked for by company)
Cost - £530.73
Date - commencement 1.9.2016
Notes - this is an annual policy covering my wife (who has MDS) and myself
Only company offering an annual multi trip policy out of 12 contacted (see post on bad travel insurance topic)
murrayfs

Post by murrayfs » 15 Dec 2017 16:52

Hi I've been meaning to post this for some time, but here are a few more companies to try from recent feedback I've had.

I had used Columbus for about the last 5 years, but suddenly this year they seemed to have changed their medical screening questions (as it would seem have a lot of other companies too!)

Earlier this year I was able to get annual Europe cover insurance from a company called "Insuratrip.com" They gave me normal insurance and then transferred me to the medical section who seemed to still be asking some of the old screening questions (not just necessarily focusing on red and white cell blood counts - of which mine are normal anyway!) It cost me around £90 I think for annual cover.

Some other companies that have been recommended to me recently are:
https://www.travelinsurance4medical.co.uk/

http://www.miatravelinsurance.co.uk/ - this one in particular got good feedback from a fellow patient and it was one that a nurse had recommended to patients and they had successfully managed to get insurance.

Sadly I'm afraid it often requires trawling of the internet and considerable time on the phone, but at least there are three companies mentioned here that are worth a try.

regards
Fiona
Fiona - Female, age 56, diagnosed in 1999 with MDS 5q-. (TP53 also) I had a stem cell transplant in 2020
murrayfs

Post by murrayfs » 15 Dec 2017 16:54

I've just posted three companies that either I myself have used or friends or fellow patients have and I forgot another one which I've listed below:

Dr. Krish Shastri,
InsureCancer Medi Travelcover Ltd.,
Tel: 01252 780190
www.InsureCancer.com

regards
Fiona
Fiona - Female, age 56, diagnosed in 1999 with MDS 5q-. (TP53 also) I had a stem cell transplant in 2020

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”