Can you have ordinary insuran e

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Magz1968

Can you have ordinary insuran e

Post by Magz1968 » 24 May 2013 06:47

Hi my last white blood cell count was 2.7 whichnim u derstanding is not bad ... I tried to get travel insurance yesterday and was to.d from one of the companys on the list. That my level need to be 4 and more before they would cover me. .. Would it be ok just to have. A normal insurance that i wouldve taken out anyway if i hadnt found out about my condition ? Xxx
[color=#404000]life has knoked me downa few time .showed me some thingsi didnt want to see one thing for sure i always get back up fighting .[/color]
christina

Re: Can you have ordinary insuran e

Post by christina » 26 May 2013 09:31

Magz1968 wrote:Hi my last white blood cell count was 2.7 whichnim u derstanding is not bad ... I tried to get travel insurance yesterday and was to.d from one of the companys on the list. That my level need to be 4 and more before they would cover me. .. Would it be ok just to have. A normal insurance that i wouldve taken out anyway if i hadnt found out about my condition ? Xxx
Hi Tina here Yes I took an ordinary travel insurance out which covered me for everything but not my MDS, regards Tina
chris

Post by chris » 28 May 2013 20:40

Hi Magz

I think you would still need to declare your medical condition so that the travel insurance company knows and agrees to cover you for everything else. If you had a medical emergency relating to your MDS you would not be covered.

Have you tried Colombus Direct? My white cells are below 4 but they covered me at a reasonable cost.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Sarah Reakes

Post by Sarah Reakes » 29 May 2013 16:18

Hi Magz,

Agree with everything Chris has said. Indeed I have just had to organise my annual travel insurance and had all manner of problems with amazingly varied premiums being quoted. Also what is alarming is that so many Insurance Companies now ask if the the individual has been diagnosed with a 'terminal condition' which I think is totally out of order since it is impossible to answer, as it is impossible to predict the exact survival time of any condition, and it is such a leading question which bears no relevance at all to our 'managed' blood disorder. With one of the Insurance companies which had been recommended by the Guardian (MIA) I had to speak to them on the phone in the end and they penalised me because I was on 'wait and watch' and would not give me an annual insurance and only a one-off trip and even then I would have to get a GP's letter to say I was fit to travel and my condition was stable.

Anyway, I made rather a meal of it in the end having signed up with All Clear for annual cover whom I used last year for a premium of £222.00, this year, they ended up charging me £540.76 for annual cover for myself and my husband, and so I then cancelled with them, and went with EHIC Plus who charged me £168.39, but then I realised that this is rather limiting as it is connected to the EHIC card and only covers medical treatment at State Hospitals, and so I cancelled that as well. Both of these companies asked if my condition was 'terminal'. I was getting myself in a right mess and my credit card statement is going to be all over the place.

So I then tried COLUMBUS DIRECT and was delighted to find that my particular form of MDS is actually listed (del 5q) and I didn't even have to give my blood counts as the questions I answered did not warrant it, so a real result and I managed to get a an annual cover for £188.21 for myself and my husband (who has since hit 70 & this seems to have affected premiums as well), but with Columbus Direct it didn't seem to make any difference so yes, I highly recommend them. They also did NOT ask if my condition was terminal and since it is specifically listed, one would assume they would know the answer to that anyway! Also my annual premium is less than I paid last year - RESULT!

What is annoying, is that I did initially try Columbus Direct but had problems with the webpage and so I gave up but I'm glad I persisted and tried again because it seems to be a very fair site indeed and they have a comprehensive list of all sorts of medical conditions. Also I should have read the previous 'Travel' postings more thoroughly since I notice that Meerkat who has the same form of MDS as me has been using Columbus Direct successfully and she had posted as such. It is a mine-field out there with the Insurance Companies and so when a good one is found, it is heartening, as we do have enough to contend with, without being made to feel any more diminished and ripped off into the bargain.

All the Best

Sarah
Aged 62. Diagnosed with MDS 5q-, June 2011 & been on Wait and Watch regime On 25/11/14 told disease had progressed to High Risk with 15-20% blasts. Starting Intense Chemotherapy on 20/1/15 prior to SCT. Live in Yatton near Bristol/Clevedon.
christina

Post by christina » 29 May 2013 17:33

That sounds great have noted the name. Although I took insurance that didn't cover my MDS I did of course inform them of my condition and it was at thier suggestion that I took it without cover as my MDS was stable at the time, a lot of companys suggested that, and also our problem is that we can't take out an annual policy as we stay overseas for 3 months, however in New Zealand I had regular blood tests at a very low cost and was able to email them back to Kings every month. This worked for me at the time but who know what the future holds, I know Sophie is very interested to hear all our stories on this Regards Christina
Magz1968

Post by Magz1968 » 01 Jun 2013 08:24

Thank you all for your replys i will havea look at the companies ...christina i know i feel its situation i will ask consulant when im back on tuesday or jeff see what they say i feel i could go away with normal i surance this time but maybe not next i not had any treatment at all..awk its all confussing so itis well for. Me it is :-( sarah i know what you mean when the companies are asking if its terminal i was like didnt know what to say to them then asking my blood counts and stuff .. All bery daunting so it was. Didnt think booking a holiday this year would be as stressful lol xxthank you both again for replys xxx
[color=#404000]life has knoked me downa few time .showed me some thingsi didnt want to see one thing for sure i always get back up fighting .[/color]

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”