Travel insurance

For information about insurance companies able to offer coverage to those with pre-existing medical conditions - such as MDS. And new folder about Health or Life Insurance issues.

Moderator: Steering Committee

JoannaM

Re: Travel insurance

Post by JoannaM » 20 Sep 2016 09:51

Thanks Chris . Have now got some insurance from Nat West Bank. They did not ask about white cell levels!! I have to inform them of any new treatment, which will then put up the premium.
Best wishes
Joanna
RUSE7

Re: POST BREXIT - Travel Insurance for MDS

Post by RUSE7 » 14 Jul 2022 12:13

Hi Sophie
Amazing advice. Thanks so much!!
I saw recently that the EHIC, which has been discontinued unless you have rights under the Brexit withdrawal agreement, is being replaced by a Global Health Insurance Card that can be used in Europe.
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... card-ghic/
This obviously doesn't remove the need for travel insurance, but might help us MDS & CMML folks out if they are travelling.
Cheers
Ronnie
AJBN16

Post by AJBN16 » 16 Sep 2022 12:52

Hi

Many thanks for this is was really helpful.

My husband (Tony) is having AZA treatment and the gap has just been extended to 8 weeks so we thought we would try to travel.

It was useful to know that we should discuss this with our consultant first as we were asked this by all the companies we talked to.

We contacted all the companies you have listed (and more) and after going through the medical screening they all declined to give us cover, although one offered to cover us but exclude MDS! They all knew what MDS was. I think their unwillingness to even quote was because Tony has other medical problems

We did however get worldwide annual cover from a company called INSUREANDGO 0808 281 4031. We have used this company before and they are very good so although policy was really expensive we are now good to go!

Thanks
chris

Post by chris » 16 Sep 2022 20:58

Hi there.
Glad you found this topic helpful. You’ve had a real old runaround with insurance companies but I’m glad you’ve finally got something sorted -albeit at a price!! I’m sure when, like Tony, you have multiple pre-existing medical conditions, it really racks up the cost. I’ve heard of people paying more for their travel insurance than the cost of the holiday!!

At least with an annual cover, you can now plan a bit more travel and it sounds really positive that Tony’s Aza schedule has been extended to 8-week cycles.

Hope you enjoy your holiday. Where are you off to?

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “Travel or Health/Life insurance for MDS”