Transplant cancellation

Post here for ANY bone marrow transplant related issues

Moderator: Steering Committee

milnmuf
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Aug 2013 16:35
Contact:

Transplant cancellation

Postby milnmuf » 02 Jan 2014 20:37

I diagnosed with low risk MDS in September 2012, In the middle of 2013 my transfusion requirement jumped dramatically and a further biopsy showed that my condition had moved on AML.
I subsequently had a 30 day session in the Haematology Dept. of the local hospital throughout October of last year, and my AML was assessed after a further biopsy as being in remission. The process was commenced because the consutant thought I was candidate for a Stem Cell transplant despite my age of 67.
At recent meeting the latest blood count showed that some my levels, ie. platelets and, more importantly, neutrofils, were on the slide. I had been pencilled for a transplant on 1 Jan, but just before Christmas I had a further biopsy, apparently more in depth from what I can understand, with the result that, late in the afternoon on 31 Dec, I had a call from the consultant telling me that my transplant was cancelled as a more in depth biopsy had shown I was still leukaemic. Has anyone else had this experience?
Lastly, I have to see the consultant on Tuesday (05/01/14) and I believe I may be offered more chemotherapy and then another attempt may be made to carry out the transplant. Having already been told the chances of the transplant being effective weren't especially good because of the MDS plus the possibility of serious side effects, and success may be even less of a possibility if I'm subjected to more chemotherapy, has anyone out there had a similar experience (and not forgetting my age which is also apparently a factor in success rates)? If so, I'd be grateful for advice.
Alan Turner
MollyP
Posts: 70
Joined: 04 Mar 2013 13:01
Location: South East England
Contact:

Re: Transplant cancellation

Postby MollyP » 05 Jan 2014 10:01

Dear Alan
I am sorry you are having all his trouble and I hope you soon get some answers to your questions and a date for treatment.

I don't have any answers to your questions but we are thinking of you and hope the meeting on Tuesday goes well.

Big hugs

Molly
Xxxxxx
*** *** *** ***
66 yrs hubby - CMML 1 dx Feb 2013
raised Monocytes was watch and wait
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
Jan 14 blood OK
April 14 Taken off Hyd' - low neutrophil
Aug 14 w&w
Jan 15 raised counts but retains w&w status
May 16 still w&w
milnmuf
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Aug 2013 16:35
Contact:

Re: Transplant cancellation

Postby milnmuf » 05 Jan 2014 17:59

Dear Molly, Thanks for this. I'm actually now in the Bristol Royal Infirmary undergoing some heavy duty chemo prior to the transplant.
Thanks again.
Alan Turner
lucy
Posts: 23
Joined: 17 Feb 2009 19:52
Contact:

Re: Transplant cancellation

Postby lucy » 05 Jan 2014 19:33

Hi Alan,
When I had my transplant, for MDS, 4 years ago, I had the induction chemo and then the second lot of heavy duty chemo which seems to be fairly common before going onto transplant. It's a bumpy road to go down but so worth it. I was 59 when I had mine and life is very good now. I wish you all the best.
Lucy

Return to “Bone Marrow Transplant”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest