Manchester Local Patient Group Meeting

A place to advertise your regional meetings, get togethers, formal or informal - so that others can find you - and you can post updates.

Moderator: Steering Committee

petertee

Manchester Local Patient Group Meeting

Post by petertee » 16 Jun 2016 14:15

Two days ago I attended Manchester's first Local Patient Group Meeting. The event was well attended with 27 people, some of whom had travelled from Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire and North Wales, most had never met each other before.

Sophie attended and also Dr Mike Dennis, Consultant Haematologist, Director for Haematology Oncology at The Christie, Manchester.

There was time as people arrived to meet each other for the first time, introduce themselves and have a drink.

Sophie opened the meeting by giving an interesting talk on local patient groups and how they are established and how beneficial they can be.

She introduced Dr Dennis and welcomed him to the meeting, he then took part in an hour long question and answer session. His input and helpful responses to the many questions that were asked was very well received by us all. Everyone was pleased that he had attended and stayed for the whole event. He in turn was impressed by the number of people who had come along with an interest in MDS.

There was a further session where we all introduces ourselves and shared our experiences. I think everybody found this interesting and helpful. It was an opportunity to understand how MDS affects us all, patients and carers.

Unfortunately the meeting had to come to an end after more than 3 hours.

Everyone expressed positive views on this first meeting and a wish for further meetings.

Further meetings will be arranged and details will be announced on the web site. If you are in the Manchester area keep an eye open for further information.

Many thanks to Sophie and Dr Dennis.

Peter
JinnyG

Re: Manchester Local Patient Group Meeting

Post by JinnyG » 10 Jul 2016 16:02

Many thanks to Peter and others responsible for a great inaugural patients meeting in Manchester last month. Being newly diagnosed (April) and given very little information and a not very positive prognosis, I found meeting and listening to others in the same boat a very positive and uplifting experience. I left the meeting feeling much heartened and distinctly more upbeat about my future. I will certainly be attending any further meetings and look forward to meeting everyone again.
Many thanks for everyone's efforts,
Jane

Return to “Regional Meeting Groups”