Lansoprazol tablets for hiatus hernia

Moderator: Steering Committee

MollyP

Lansoprazol tablets for hiatus hernia

Post by MollyP » 16 Mar 2015 12:14

Hubby bloods starting to decline again, so it was good for a few months after the Hydroxycarbamide but now it looks like we are heading towards him taking them again.

He is starting to feel a bit unwell, he is elderly according to the latest government radio advertisement on keeping an eye on those with coughs and colds, sorry it makes me laugh a lot that advertisement and he is most indignant that he is not elderly.
Anyway, he has aching knee joints which are slightly inflamed, but a skiing holiday might be too blame too, althought it was a bit sore before he went.

His psoriasis has flared up something dreadful and he has now read that his Lansoprazol tablets might cause blood and marrow disorders, and all his tablets, blood pressure, the antibiotics he is on for a sore mouth ulcer, all say they can cause joint inflammation.

He is most concerned about the Lansaprozole as his MDS could be 5 years old, and guess what, yes, he has been taking Lansoprazol for a similar time.

Anyone else with MDS Taking these tablets?
Thanks
Molly
Xx
69 yrs hubby - CMML 1 dx Feb 2013
raised Monocytes was watch and wait
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
Jan 14 blood OK back on w&w
Jan 19 disease advancement to CMML-F (fibrosis)
tjh

Re: Lansoprazol tablets for hiatus hernia

Post by tjh » 16 Mar 2015 17:54

Hi Molly

I use Lansaprozole and have had MDS which now after a new BMB shows that I have progressed to AML.

My doctor will not speculate on how long I have had MDS so I have no idea if Lansaprozole has had anyhting to with my MDS or not, but it is an interesting area to look into for the researchers.

Best regards

Tiiu
68 (F) MDS RAEB 1(2) in 2014 : March - Blasts 10%. AML Feb 2015
red

Post by red » 16 Mar 2015 19:53

Hi Molly,
I have been on Lansoprazol for a few years and I asked my GP if I could go on a lower dose when I was diagnosed with MDS and I don't think it's been a problem with my MDS I find that 15g cope with my reflux and on the odd occasion such as Christmas I take two and I've been fine.
Winnie
Red
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
GeoffC

Post by GeoffC » 16 Mar 2015 20:55

Hi Molly

At the risk of being alarmist, I too have been taking Lansoprazole for a number of years.

However given that this drug is supposed to be a drug that reduces stomach acid it seems unlikely that it is linked to MDS as a cause.

Of course all drugs have unwanted side effects and MDS and joint pain may be one of those, but that is one for the researchers as Tiiu has said. MDS as I see it, is more to do with a problem with our genetic make up, which none of us have control over.

Given the benefits of the drug, e.g. no acid reflux, no indigestion, I'm not sure that I would want to stop taking it.

I can't say that I have noticed any side effects myself, unlike some other drugs I had to take.Try statins and you will know what I mean. They are supposed to be the wonder drug for older people. Nightmares, cramps and joint pain as a bonus.

I agree that none of us feel we are elderly, but how we feel and what our bodies are telling us are two different things.

My wife has psoriasis and has had some terrible side effects with the treatment for that. I also have an idea of the problems when it flares up.

Hope you can find a resolution to the problem.

Best wishes hope you find a solution soon.
Geoff C. Age 66. MDS diagnosed June 2013. Type - RCMD with del 20q. Red cells just below normal range, low white cells and platelets. Transformed to AML 2016. Stem cell transplant Jan 2017. Currently still in remission. Lancashire.
janbev

Post by janbev » 16 Mar 2015 21:13

Hi Molly
Well my husband Bev has been on lanzaprazole since 2011/12 in the beginning it was just one tablet (15mg) a day now it is twice a day - our local consultant told us in 2013 that he had had MDS for at least 3 years (looking back through his blood tests) and it could have been longer but she had only looked back to the year before his first heart attack. So it is something to look at. Just been down to Kings for the day so am absolutelty shattered 3 hours travel there and 4.5 hours back with wallet suitably emptied by the rail companies! a very long day and we are back again in 4 weeks time.
Janet
Janet N - Husband diagnosed with RCMD July 2013. On watch & wait. Low neutrophils, low white blood cells. At present on 6 monthly hospital check ups
david j

Post by david j » 16 Mar 2015 21:18

I have a small hiatus hernia and took Lansoprazole for several years and found them very beneficial with no side effects.I do not take them now as my acid reflux is better.I have heard that long term use can be linked to brittle bone disease(osteoporosis) but the risk is very small and in any case,the benefits outweigh the risks.As far as I know there is no link with MDS. I would carry on taking them.

Kind Regards
David
David,Age 59,MDS RCMD 2% blasts,IPSS Score 2,normal chromosomes,normal cytogenics.Diagnosed March 2012 at age 47,normal Red Cells, low White Cells & Platelets,Slightly Enlarged Spleen.No current treatment,active 4-monthly monitoring.Brighton,E.Sussex.
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 16 Mar 2015 21:46

Thank you for all your responses, this is a link to the information we read today. It's not on the Lansaprozole leaflet that's in the box with the tablets, well other than to say changes in blood cell counts, my husband is a fastidious reader of the leaflets so I am sure he would have picked up on any changes particularly in this regard.

We are going to take this information to his oncologist later this week.

If we can find the cause of his MDS is something to do with what he has been taking it is his hope maybe just maybe with him only really just crossing that line of you have it you don't have it maybe we can reverse it to permanently to returning the bloods to normal. I know that's a big hope but hopefully it will happen. Wishing you all healthy. Molly xxxx

http://www.nhs.uk/Medicine-Guides/Pages ... nsoprazole
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 18 Mar 2015 22:16

The oncologist wasn't really interested in the nhs information, he brushed it aside, but we will ask at our centre of excellence when we go there later in the month.

The bloods are not brilliant so it looks like hubby will be back on Hydroxycarbamide very soon. He is going to see someone else about the leg fatigue.

Feeling a little deflated and wondering what this next bout will bring. Do feel confident in Hydroxycarbamide- just hope it does a good job as it did before.
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
MollyP

Post by MollyP » 31 Mar 2015 21:25

Well it seems the leg fatigue was possibly due to his blood pressure tablets and having changed them he feels better. The psoriasis has lessened too to the degree that the bloods have gone back down and we are not heading toward Hydroxycarbamide but are on watch and wait again, so we are very pleased but it's been a bit of a roller coaster of a time these past few weeks. A visit to our centre of excellence this week has also told us that the MDS and the psoriasis is probably linked as we thought it was.
We didn't get any further with the hiatus hernia tablets, for another day I think.
Hope everyone is OK.
Happy Easter
Molly
Xx
Nov 13 hydroxycarbamide.
chris

Post by chris » 01 Apr 2015 11:40

Hi Molly

Very glad to hear that your husband is back on observation only. You must be very relieved. I did wonder about other medications which might be causing leg pains and wondered if he was on statins? They are well known to cause muscle pain which often stays on after stopping the drug too!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholestero ... fects.aspx

The trouble is that so many medications state that they can "rarely" affect blood counts but it isn't quantified and the likelihood is that the blood counts would only be affected in a very minor way - not as severely as caused by MDS itself. I suppose the issue is that with MDS you need all the help you can get and don't need anything additional to mess around with your blood counts!! For example, it is known that alcohol can lower blood counts - in particular platelets - but it only becomes a significant problem for people who are alcoholics. Quite what the effect is for people who drink within recommended guidelines is not stated and you could argue that moderate drinking has other health benefits so it is really up to individuals to decide. Likewise with the medication for hiatus hernia/reflux, you really have to balance the benefits and possible risks of taking it versus the discomforts of not taking it and the certain knowledge that nothing then could be influencing the blood counts!!!!

Personally, I avoid as much medication as I can - just so that I am not muddying the MDS waters but then I am fortunate not to have too many other long-term conditions that require treatment. I was prescribed Omeprazole for a voice problem ( "silent" acid reflux supposedly affecting the voice box?) but I don't actually have too many bothersome symptoms of acid reflux so I opted not to takeit I as I think the acid produced in your stomach is there for a reason and I don't want to affect my digestive system by suppressing it. We have raised our bedhead on 3 inch blocks which actually is magical for heartburn and indigestion-type symptoms andI have read that it is advised for hiatus hernia also. It really works as when we go away on holiday with a "normal" bed the symptoms come back immediately!!!

Enjoy the nice Spring weather - once these winds die down! 2 rows of new potatoes are in and some red onions and it's all kicking off on the allotment now!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.

Return to “Say hello”