Are there any 70 year old MDS sufferers out there?

Moderator: Steering Committee

red

Post by red » 21 Jun 2013 13:39

I have MDS medium risk, at the moment I am on watch and wait. I will be 70 next month.
Red

life is for living!
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
CHW

Re: Are there any 70 year old MDS sufferers out there?

Post by CHW » 29 Jun 2013 15:14

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with intermediate MDS in April, he is 74 yrs of age and has just registered on this site.

He is now on Azacitidine, having had two lots of 7day injections and as predicted his blood counts have gone even lower. He is having blood transfusions every couple of weeks and platelets transfusions too.

We're keeping our hopes up but my how life has changed.....

Shirley (Colin's wife) :)
red

Post by red » 30 Jun 2013 18:19

Hi Shirley,
I have to go back to see my haematologist 13th August. At the moment I'm on watch and wait. I have had a nasty infection in my leg and just finished a high dose of antibiotics and my leg is getting back to normal (still got a small lump under the surface). I hope that things pick up for Colin soon. I'm just coming to terms with it myself. I attend Musgrove Hospital which is just outside Taunton. Which Hospital do you go to?
My Haematologist said that I was to try to live as normal a life as possible and so I've booked a weeks holiday in Crete.
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
CHW

Post by CHW » 01 Jul 2013 19:41

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it sounds as if you are in the early stages of MDS, sorry to hear about your leg and hope it soon gets better.

How have you found getting holiday insurance?

Colin attends High Wycombe hospital to receive treatment. All is blood counts are very low at the moment, we're hoping they will improve with Azacitidine.

Shirley
red

Post by red » 04 Jul 2013 11:18

Hi Shirley,
I spent almost a day chasing round after holiday insurance. I was quoted as high as £255 or £156 for just repatriation. I finally got holiday and repatriation for £64.77 from Columbus insurance.
I fit in to the medium range level 1 risk for MDS.
I hope things settle down for you. You can email me I you would like to. I'm new at this and I know how hard it is to come to terms with it.
Regards,
Red

Life is for living
Lynnb

Post by Lynnb » 24 Apr 2014 19:55

Hi
My mum 75 was diagnosed with MDS on Tuesday. This is something I have not heard of and I have a bitt of a medical background. Now on a fact finding mission. Mum hasn't been told her type yet but has low platelets. Feeling tired and bruising easily. Picked up on a routine blood test. Just being seen again in 3 months to monitor. Should get type then. Hope your leg infection cleats up soon. Enjoy your holiday.

Return to “Say hello”