Ruptured spleen

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

chris

Ruptured spleen

Post by chris » 30 Jan 2014 18:43

Quote from Andy Pandy
"Two weeks ago I was admitted to hospital for emergency op for ruptured spleen which was repaired with the wiring technique and recovering well. I am due for blood tests next week and have an appointment with my Haemotologist on 14th Feb."

Dear Andypandy

I read of this with great concern as I also have an enlarged spleen and rupture is my Big Worry!!! Did yours rupture spontaneously or was there an injury? What were your symptoms and how did you know to go to hospital? I have never heard of this wiring technique but presume it is a way of preserving your spleen. Also, are you aware of the size your spleen was prior to rupture. Mine is 19.5 cm in length ( I think normal length is 11-12 cm).

Glad you have recovered well.

Any information gratefully received!

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Andy Pandy

Re: Ruptured spleen

Post by Andy Pandy » 02 Feb 2014 12:06

Hi Chris

I did have an enlarged spleen but not seriously and i can't find information from my letters how enlarged it was, although 20% seems to stick in my mind. The event happened at 3am on monday 13th Jan when I was awoken by an extreme pain in my chest which I thought was my heart followed by pain in my left shoulder, the pain then also went to my stomach. I woke my partner by which time the chest and shoulder pains faded just leaving my stomach very tender. My partner made me a cup of tea - what else do the British do!! In the morning the pain was no better so i contacted my doctor for a home visit. When he arrived he said I was very pale and he felt my stomach and thought it might be a ruptured spleen - going on my Myeldysplasia history. He called an ambulance and I was taken to hospital for further investigation, scans and eventual surgery in the early hours of Tuesday morning. There had been an event some six weeks prior to the rupture when I was knocked sideways by a car (hit and run) but the doctor said the rupture would have happened at that time. I think the surgery I had was fairly new - I can't find any information on it at all. I was awake throughout and can only describe it as the surgeon knitting with wires in my spleen! I could see it happening on the large screen. You would certainly know if your spleen ruptured Chris because of the pains in the chest, shoulder and stomach. I am recovering well and have an appointment with my Haemotologist on 11th Feb. I am due to do my blood on 4th Feb and the request is for bone profile, full blood count, liver function and Urea, electolytes & creatinine. Hope this is helpful.
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
chris

Post by chris » 03 Feb 2014 21:08

Hi Andy

Gosh! How frightening that must have been for you. I do already suffer from left shoulder pain from time to time and I understand it is a feature of having an enlarged spleen. I wonder whether the hit-and-run accident (again, how frightening!) may have bruised/damaged the spleen and caused a slow bleed which eventually got worse and then caused all the chest,shoulder and stomach pain. Thank goodness your GP was on the ball and got you into hospital quickly as a ruptured spleen isn't something to be taken lightly! I did find a few references to "spleen-saving" repairs and it was good that they managed to save yours as having it out is a big operation and you have to be on antibiotics for evermore I think because of the risk of infections.

Is your hospital an MDS centre of excellence? I wondered if this wiring technique would be available at other e.g. local hospitals?

Hope all goes well at your next appointment and that you continue to recover well from the difficulties of the past couple of months.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris.Trustee,Patient Support Ambassador (Essex) (F) Age 73 (2023)).Diagnosed in 2008. CMML-1. Normal red cells, low white cells & platelets, slightly raised monocytes. Enlarged spleen. Not had any treatment - active monitoring 6-monthly.
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 04 Feb 2014 17:30

Hi Chris

I did wonder if the accident had some bearing. Back in September I had an operation for a pseudoanerism of the brachial artery - that was very painful, and sudden and i was rushed to Brighton Hosp for vascular surgery - since then I have lost the use of my right arm so have to go this month for electrical impulses into my muscle to see what nerve damage there is. It was following this op after a few weeks that I ventured out to our local supermarket and was sent crashing to the ground on a zebra crossing by the car - that was in October. I suppose it might have caused a small bleed to the spleen but had no symptoms at that time. I am lucky to have a very good GP and also Haemotologist, Dr Sahu and our hospitals in this area seem to be good. Like you say the repair was a better option than removal and this was all explained to me plus aftercare drugs etc. but after scans etc they must have thought it wothwhile to do the repair. I have had a few problems since the op - can't overeat because of discomfort and sometimes tummy pains so I will be taking this up with Dr Sahu on 11th. Also I will be mentioning the Brachial artery rupture. I write down relevant questions for my appt. because it's easy to get sidetracked and forget to ask things.

I will let you know how I get on - I have been to the hospital today to do my bloods for my appt. next week with Dr Sahu.

Best wishes
Andy
Dx AML May 2014 13% blasts, BMB Apr 2015 3% blasts and bloods very good. Azacitidine chemo
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 11 Feb 2014 17:41

Hi folks

I had an appointment with my haematologist this morning who was very interested with what I had been through since I last saw him. He was mystified about my ruptured spleen because mine was not that enlarged but was happy to know that the wiring repair had worked well. He said it could leak again but I would know if this happened with similar pains as before, however he hoped not. My blood readings were good Hb10 and also neutrophils although I am on steroids for the eczema at the moment. He inspected my skin which is in a bad way and wants my dermatologist to take a biopsy on Thursday to test for Sweets Syndrome. I also have to go back in 5 weeks for another bone marrow biopsy and aspiration, the last having been done three years ago. I told him I was taking Complan because I had lost weight, 9stone this morning was 10stone before all the trauma but wanted to check with him because it contains iron but he said this was fine. I also asked about the pseudo aneurism I had suffered but he said this was nothing to do with MDS. All in all a successful appointment, he answered all my questions and is always very pleasant.

best wishes
Andy :)
chris

Post by chris » 12 Feb 2014 17:33

Hi Andy

So glad to hear that you are holding up well on the MDS front - despite all the setbacks you have had recently. Hope the bone marrow biopsy goes well. You have done well not to have had one for 3 years - they seem to want them more frequently these days!

Hope you can put a bit of weight back on. I've just made a lemon drizzle cake to use up some lemons.. but I don't think it would travel well!! You need to ditch any low fat "diet" products and make sure you eat the full fat ones!! It's hard to put weight back on sometimes - especially if your appetite isn't great and you said you were getting discomfort and tummy pains if you ate a big meal? Maybe lots of grazing, snacking and small meals might help?

Take care.

Chris
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 14 Feb 2014 15:42

Hi Chris

Thank you for your kind wishes and advice. I am on Complan now too which is helping with my weight and taken your advice to graze!! The lemon drizzle cake sounds delicious! I'm finally going to have light treatment for my eczema starting in 5 weeks time so can't wait - anything to relieve this awful skin condition.

All best wishes

Andy
Andy Pandy

Post by Andy Pandy » 31 Mar 2014 14:15

Hi folks

Well my last appointment went well - he didn't want to to a bone marrow biopsy so I was happy bunny. Blood readings were good for me. he was still concerned about my skin, eczema and I am currently waiting for light treatment. I've had a lump come up on my operated arm which he was concerned about and I go to my GP tomorrow recommended in his letter recommending an ultrasound scan and possible surgery.

I report back in July for my next appointment with Haemotologist. :)

Return to “General Chat”