Has anyone very sore palms on hands

Comments, thoughts and issues on any other aspects of MDS - not covered by other folders - PLEASE CHECK before you post in this folder.

Moderator: Steering Committee

punda milia

Has anyone very sore palms on hands

Post by punda milia » 05 Sep 2013 16:29

I wonder if anyone else has had experiences with very sore, hot palms of hands. They are red and bruised looking. The problem has been there for about 5 months but has been becoming more painful recently. The doctor at Lewisham Hospital did not seem to know the cause and neither of the other two doctors I have seen have any suggestions.

My blood counts are stable. The macrocytes are large and the netrophils are 1.4 which is good for me.

Diana Lockyer
66 year female. Diagnosed with mds 2012. In 2002 treated for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma with chlorambucil. Have enlarged macrocytes, low neutrophils & low white cells. Also have Trisomy 8 & classified Intermediate 1. Now on watch & wait
punda milia

Re: Has anyone very sore palms on hands

Post by punda milia » 02 Jan 2014 20:04

Hi everyone

After suffering with a rash and sore palms and feet for 8 months I have finally been to a dermatologist and been diagnosed with skin problems due to peripheral neuropathy. This is a fairly rare condition caused by MDS which also affects my tongue! I am now taking a small dose (10mgs) of amitriptyline which helps the discomfort.

Happy New Year to you all

Diana
66 year female. Diagnosed with mds 2012. In 2002 treated for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma with chlorambucil. Have enlarged macrocytes, low neutrophils & low white cells. Also have Trisomy 8 & classified Intermediate 1. Now on watch & wait
red

Post by red » 03 Jan 2014 15:14

Hi,
I was always led to believe that red palms was a sign that ones liver was out of sorts. I've had cancer several times and I've noticed that mine go red and uncomfortable when I'm ill. When this happens I go on to a Liver Cleansing diet for about 8 weeks and I start to feel much better and the redness goes. I use the Sandra Cabot Liver Cleansing Diet. You can buy the book from any good Book shop.

At my last visit to see my Haematologist I asked him why my liver results were a bit up and he said MDS can cause this.
I have looked up red hands on Google and found the following:
Red palms
What this could mean ‘One of the classic signs of liver damage especially in the over 50 age group is a reddening of the palms,’ says Dr Denning. Called palmar erythema, this reddening usually affects the outer edge of the palms in a band from the wrist to the little finger. No one really knows the cause but the reddening is thought to be due to blood vessels dilating as a result of a change in the hormone balance caused by liver disease. Red palms can also be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis caused by the inflammation that is a major factor in the disease.

I have never been a heavy drinker so I think my red palms must be associated with my cancers affecting my health.

Hope this is helpful.

Winnie (red)
Red widow aged 70. MDS -20Q+t(1,9) diagnosed June 2013 on watch and wait. Lives in Somerset

Life is for living
punda milia

Post by punda milia » 18 Jan 2014 19:32

Thanks Winnie. I asked my haematologist if the sore palms were due to liver problems and she was emphatic in her negative reply! However, I have now developed a deterioration in my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma which includes abnormalities in the liver so maybe the liver problem is part of the sore hands although I definitely suffer with peripheral neuropathy sore hands, sore feet and a sore tongue!

Diana

Return to “General Chat”